What are you doing with homebrew today?

It has been a while now since I started keeping detailed tasting notes, judging, and making notes for improving my brews.
I am now using these notes, and the data I recorded in preparing to brew my Resurrection Black IPA.
The main theme of my notes was "would like to improve on hop aroma, and perhaps flavor as well".
Since I last brewed this I have made improvements to my efficiency, have a new base malt to work with, and have decided to reduce the ABV of some of my brews.

Here are the notes that I have added regarding the changes I made:

2020-0418
Added a 6 day dry hop addition (adding 84grams / 3oz to the hop bill)
Lowered ABV from 6.4% to 5.8%
Reduced 20 minute boil additions (Cascade 26g to 10g, Chinook 13g to 10g, Simcoe 13g to 10g)
Increased efficiency from 63% to 70%
Adjusted boil off rate from 2.9l/h to 2 l/h
Increased water to grain ratio to 3l/kg
Changed mash schedule to three rests, Alpha @ 62C 45 mins, Beta @ 68C 60 mins, Mashout @ 75C 15 mins
added 0.5 grams baking soda to bring mash pH up to 5.34

Planning to whistle (brew this) while I work on Friday, so the Beta mash rest will be more like 180 minutes.

Cheers All!

It's time for me to check on tthe carbonation of my ciders. Hope they didn't over-carb.
Been down with malaria the last couple of days. Slowly getting my appetite back
Sorry to hear that. get well soon - drink some cider.

It's time for me to check on tthe carbonation of my ciders. Hope they didn't over-carb.
Been down with malaria the last couple of days. Slowly getting my appetite back
Malaria, oh my gosh, I sincerely hope that you will be okay :(

I took a look at the FerMonster holding my Amber Ale since April 2, using Voss. Brew is still cloudy, just like the Janet’s Brown Ale that I brewed with Voss a few months ago. I think I’ll have a bottling day for the brew this coming weekend.
Another brew, in primary since April 5 is Wayner’s Pale Ale. That brew is awaiting its dry hops charge. I expect the consensus is to direct pitch the pellets, but can anyone argue in favor of bagging the pellets? My limited experience with dry hopping has produced cloudy, hop gritty beers. I want to get Wayner’s bottled next weekend, too.

I took a look at the FerMonster holding my Amber Ale since April 2, using Voss. Brew is still cloudy, just like the Janet’s Brown Ale that I brewed with Voss a few months ago. I think I’ll have a bottling day for the brew this coming weekend.
Another brew, in primary since April 5 is Wayner’s Pale Ale. That brew is awaiting its dry hops charge. I expect the consensus is to direct pitch the pellets, but can anyone argue in favor of bagging the pellets? My limited experience with dry hopping has produced cloudy, hop gritty beers. I want to get Wayner’s bottled next weekend, too.
I usually bag my dry hops because I don't cold crash before packaging, but I feel this matter is personal preference/dependant on what your brewery can do

Also I've got a blonde ale with kveik bottle conditioning right now and it's very cloudy. I'm hoping the fridge will help

I also bag my dry hop additions, just so I can reduce the trub mixed in with the yeast cake (which I often harvest). Upside is that less trub enters the keg. Downside is that sometimes the bag finds the racking arm and stops it up... I just grab the Big Spoon and pull it away again.

Picking up my hop order today as well as topping up on carafoam, and acidulated malts, and a couple packages of VOSS.
Will be getting set up for brew day tomorrow, planning to dough in before breakfast, and mash all morning whilst I work!

Double checking recipe and stuff plan to brew the Dubbel tomorrow. I am staying home to keep my daughter away from daycare for a day. If not tomorrow brewing Saturday morning before the Zoom

I just packaged - bottled - my latest two brews so now time to plan the next ones. Now I have two Fermentation Fridges I can do four!!!
Tiggy is our late cat who we miss very much and I always wanted to put him on a label.
upload_2021-4-23_10-15-17.png
26 pints
upload_2021-4-23_10-15-36.png
26 pints.

Back