Domino Dots sugar cubes: Is the rumor true? If so, use caution!!!

Silver_Is_Money

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Rumor has it that Domino Sugar has changed the size and weight of the Domino Dots sugar cubes that many of us use to prime 12 ounce bottles for carbonation.

The original Dot came with 198 neatly stacked cubes in a 1 Lb. box.

453.6 grams / 198 Dots = 2.291 grams of table sugar in each cube. My scale weighed them at 2.31 grams each.

If they are gone, I will miss them. If they have been altered in size/weight use caution to not wind up with bottle bombs. I hope the rumor is untrue and the 198 cubes/pound Dots remain on the market.

Since the Dots that many of us use just managed to fit into the neck of a 12 Oz. longneck bottle, perhaps the revised size, if larger, will no longer fit, and at least this would prevent over-priming danger.

Domino's website lists 2 products, Domino dots and Domino tablets. The former are "2.5 grams" each and cubical, the latter 5 grams each and rectangular.

Domino's website lists 2 products, Domino dots and Domino tablets. The former are "2.5 grams" each and cubical, the latter 5 grams each and rectangular.

Perhaps that's the change. They seem to have bumped them up from 2.3 grams to 2.5 grams per cube. But OTOH it may just be that for nutrition and calorie purposes they list the 2.3 gram Dots as being 2.5 gram?

Put ten of them or better, 30 on a scale, a gram scale is best, then divide the weight by the number of cubes. Your average weight will be close enough for homebrew.

Here's the rub. Domino now sells Dots packed at 126 per pound, and Dots packed at 198 per pound. They are 3.6 gram and 2.3 gram sugar cubes respectively. Pay no attention to the weights listed in the "calories per cube" section of the box, which apparently indicate 5 grams and 2.5 grams respectively. Simply stay away from the 126 cube boxes. You want to buy the box with 198 cubes. The cube count is seen on the panel at the opposite side of the box from the nutrition panel.

My local supermarket sells the 198 cube box for under $2. The same product routinely sells on Amazon for ~$7.50 and sometimes even higher per box. So beware of price gouging.

Last edited:

Back