Random woodworking question

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Was sent this frame in the mail and it unfortunately broke in 2 places. The frame is made of some sort of rigid foam and I wasn't sure if wood glue would work on the surface. I also didn't know if super glue would melt/burn the foam? @Trialben you post a lot of woodworking projects, any suggestions for me?

20210409_075109.jpg
20210409_075125.jpg
20210409_075532.jpg

I think a bit of wood glue would be fine but I will wait for others more knowledgeable to chip in.

Wood glue doesn't tend to stick to plastics very well, my choice would be a 5 minute epoxy. Clear Gorilla glue should be fine as well, but if there are any bits of foam missing from the joint epoxy would be better for filling the gaps.

Titebond II wood glue would grip the foam (it is foamed PVC) but clear Gorilla glue is perfectly fine and likely cheaper.

Y'all are awesome, thank you so much. On my todo list for tomorrow

Yup epoxy rough up the glueing surface so it's got something to bind to;).
Areldite it's pretty handy it comes in a two part syringe so part a and b are mixed onto the work piece.
Good luck.​

Wood glue doesn't tend to stick to plastics very well, my choice would be a 5 minute epoxy. Clear Gorilla glue should be fine as well, but if there are any bits of foam missing from the joint epoxy would be better for filling the gaps.
x2

wood glue wont stick

It's foamed PVC, sure it will. That's the white 'plastic' trim boards they sell for houses most everywhere. I use Titebond III on it for outdoors all the time, Titebond II is for indoors. A 2-part acrylic is what the manufacturer recommends though...

Meh. She's just gluing a picture frame back together, even Elmer's would work. Heck, duct tape on the back would work.

@Sunfire96 Please get a dozen different glues and report back to us which ended up having sufficient adhesion and strength for the purpose....:rolleyes:

Back