Small Batch Keg System Recommendations

Northshore

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have been wanting to get into kegging but space is a serious issue where I live. As such, I have no ferm chamber or keezer. I do have a beer fridge though. I have been looking at the small kegging systems that would accommodate my half batches and wondering if it realistic to think that I could fit a small CO2 tank in the fridge with a 2.5 gallon keg. I have seen some with picnic taps and smaller gas cartridges too but I am leery of going too small with the operation. Anyone have luck with these setups or more importantly, things to look out for?

Ask @Josh Hughes as he does this.

A small keg (they come in several sizes) will fit most anywhere, and even a 5 lb CO2 tank is pretty small (they make 2.5 lb tanks too).

It is often said that regulators should not be kept in the cold, but only because any humidity or condensation (if it was removed from the cold) can damage it. Just be aware of that and don't take it out of the fridge.

I have 2 of the 1.75 gallon “systems” from Northern Brewer. Not That much bigger than a gallon milk really. This one has a mini regulator that uses 74 gram co2 cartridges and comes with a faucet. Fits nicely and I can serve from my refrigerator. I leave my regulator in the refrigerator since I always have a beer conditioning or drinking since I have 2 kegs. Obviously a co2 tank would be cheaper but this one fits for what I need.

I would be inclined to keep the CO2 tank outside the mini fridge.
This would be the best way to set it up. If you can find a way to get a co2 line into the beer fridge and still shut the door. There is no need to waste space by keeping a co2 tank and regulator in there.

Don't bother with the cartridge systems. Just find a used 5# bottle and regulator and a couple of 2.3-3 gallon kegs. You can easily keep your CO2 outside the fridge - just be sure to know where it's safe to make a hole in the fridge.
You'll be glad you're all set up when you decide to scale up to bigger batches and 5 gallon kegs.:)

Don't bother with the cartridge systems. Just find a used 5# bottle and regulator and a couple of 2.3-3 gallon kegs. You can easily keep your CO2 outside the fridge - just be sure to know where it's safe to make a hole in the fridge.
You'll be glad you're all set up when you decide to scale up to bigger batches and 5 gallon kegs.:)
Unless you are putting in your kitchen refrigerator like i do then you use cartridges

Unless you are putting in your kitchen refrigerator like i do then you use cartridges
I used kegs for a long time like that by topping up the CO2 level whenever I poured a few glasses.There's no reason the keg has to stay hooked up to CO2 all the time, it just has to have the proper pressure on it. It's handier to have the CO2 manifold and the 2-3 tap tower or a few shanks in the door but a picnic tap and topping up pressure poured a lot of beers for me for quite a while. :)

I used kegs for a long time like that by topping up the CO2 level whenever I poured a few glasses.There's no reason the keg has to stay hooked up to CO2 all the time, it just has to have the proper pressure on it. It's handier to have the CO2 manifold and the 2-3 tap tower or a few shanks in the door but a picnic tap and topping up pressure poured a lot of beers for me for quite a while. :)
Oh it’s a goal in the future haha. Baby steps right now

but a picnic tap and topping up pressure poured a lot of beers for me
Precisely how I do it. Once properly carbed, i shut off the gas in case of leaks, and repressurize after drawing my beers.

Reactions: J A
Precisely how I do it. Once properly carbed, i shut off the gas in case of leaks, and repressurize after drawing my beers.
I turn mine off once a start drinking and turn on gas a smudge after each drink.

I like that, as sexist as it sounds. I’ll have remember that and use around my own hausfrau. I’m sure I’ll get “ the look”.
In context (German) it is not even slightly sexist. And that is how it was meant. But yeah, I can see how it might be construed.

Excellent feedback and encouraging that this won't be a total waste. I am curious with the small cartridges, are you able to force carbonate the full keg with those little guys?

Excellent feedback and encouraging that this won't be a total waste. I am curious with the small cartridges, are you able to force carbonate the full keg with those little guys?
Yes. The 74g sitting a week will. Better after 10 days.

You might also consider natural carbonation in the keg. I do this on every batch. You get a precise amount of carbonation based on the amount of priming sugar used. And you don’t use up your CO2.

When you first tap the keg, you’ll get about a half glass with a heavy concentration of suspended yeast. After that, it pours clear.

Thanks guys. I'll be surfing for small kegging systems with the rest of my morning coffee if you need me. :)

I started out with a system like Josh uses, but with a Sodastream bottle instead of the cartridges in the main kitchen fridge using the 5 lite torpedo kegs.

When I moved to a seperate mini fridge I drilled a hole for the gas and kept the cylinder and mini regulator outside. Then moved up to a full size regulator and CO2 system a while later.

These days I generally brew 12 litre batches and use a four tap kegerator and 10 litre and 5 litre kegs. The mini fridge was donated to a child recently and just needed a small bung to make it work as originally intended.

Back