How do I convert British measurements to US measurements

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing and to this website. If I find a recipe that I like, but the measurements are in grams and kilograms, is there an easy way to convert it to US pounds and ounces? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Google "convert x to y" and fill in the amount you want to convert. The calculator will do most of it but Google does a great job.

1 Kg. = 2.20462 pounds
1 pound = 453.6 grams = 0.4536 Kg.
1 US weight ounce = 28.35 grams
1 US fluid ounce = 29.57 mL
1 US Quart = 0.94635 Liters
1 US Gallon = 128 US Fluid Ounces
1 US Gallon = 3.7854 Liters
degrees F = C x 1.8 + 32

Last edited:
Just to confuse things more, in the US, the American units you refer to are called "English Units".

Just to confuse things more, in the US, the American units you refer to are called "English Units".

But to confuse matters even more:

1.20095 US Gallons = 1.00000 UK (or Imperial) Gallon

Last edited:
1,000 Kg. = 1 "Long Ton"

2,000 Pounds = 1 "Short Ton"
There are actually three different ton measurements. Short tin, long ton, and metric ton.

Short ton 2000 lbs
Metric ton 1000 kg or 2204.6 lbs
Long ton, also called imperial. 2240 lbs

We also have rods, furlongs, bushels, hogsheads, and other units of dubious usefulness to the brewing community.

Thomas Jefferson tried to get us on the metric system. But it just didn’t take.

Don't forget the metric s#!tload :rolleyes:

Actually bushels of grain and hogsheads of beer are relevant.

So are "Winchesters". Which in the UK are a unit of volume measure that is (to my knowledge) still in somewhat common use. I believe a Winchester to be a container of fixed volume. But I could be wrong on that.

It may be that in modern UK parlance a container of 2.5 Liters capacity is considered to be a Winchester, but in centuries/era's past that was not the designated measure of a Winchester.

AS others said, I just use google cause all the recipes and stuff are in US units and trying to calculate ounces is for chumps. Grams and KG for life!!

I use grams for hops and salts, English units for the rest. I do admit that liters would be somewhat more convenient.

I do a lot of mental math during a brew day depending on what I'm trying to account for.

I got a new scale last year that switches easily between grams, ounces, pounds, etc. Very handy.

Proper country units. ;)

Back