Frozen Hops

jmac67%

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have not brewed since October. I have some hops in my freezer. What is the opinion on using them now?

I also have about 10-15lb of hops that I vacuum sealed and have been in freezer for extended periods of time, some for years. Yours will be fine.

I have some hop packs I just tape shut and put back in the freezer, they still smell and taste fine for months.

Nothing to worry over much about.

Yea don't worry they are still good. I have hops in the freezer now from last year. I cant help myself when it comes to buying and trying new hops.

Yea don't worry they are still good. I have hops in the freezer now from last year. I cant help myself when it comes to buying and trying new hops.
Hey brew nerd comment here beware.
If their aged brew yourself a Lambic sour beer aged hops are their thing:rolleyes:.

Or just call it a lambic if it doesn't taste good after you make it. ;)

Yep. Got one to make sous vide easier, but great for everything from hops to bagels (freeze them first!).
One of the first "homebrew" things I bought was a vacuum sealer. Buy almost all my hops in bulk and store sealed in the freezer. Handy when Hops Direct runs sales on hops that you use for $5 a pound...

How many times do you open and reseal a bag of hops before it's empty? Do you notice any loss of aroma or flavor over time? I did buy one of those handheld units that used the ziploc type baggies. I stopped using it because it was at best a 50/50 shot as to whether it would hold a vacuum. I would like to get a regular counter-top unit but wonder if they are worth the investment.

its tedious but you can make one ounce bags from a quart or gallon bag with your sealer like I do, that way everything is sealed from the day you bought it and nothing sees the light of day except what you take out for brewing

I do this with a cheap countertop food saver unit

When I buy a pound of Magnum, I split it into 16 one ounce packages the first time I open it.
The rest I open and reseal as needed using a countertop sealer, with the proper bag material.

Back