Tilt no longer logging data

Hi, I'm also having the same issue. I did a bit of digging to see if I could figure out what was happening and when TiltPi is sending data to Brewers Friend it returns an error:

Code:
brew session not found. Turn on a fermentation session for GREEN:f5:40:5c:5d:df:df Tilt

My green tilt is definitely active in my brew session and I'm using the Tilt URL from the integrations page so I'm not sure why the error is being produced.

Hopefully that helps!

Attachments

• upload_2021-3-30_14-6-53.png
    upload_2021-3-30_14-6-53.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 93
Thanks so much for joining the forum and providing that information!

I'm forwarding this over to one of our developers that is most familiar with the device integrations.

I've figured it out with help from a friend - the "Use MAC Address" setting in the System configuration needs to be disabled (see image below) otherwise the tilt sends the name with the MAC address ("GREEN:f5:40:5c:5d:df:df" instead of just "GREEN") which I think is confusing the Brewers Friend API. Once that setting is disabled it all works as expected.

It would be good if Brewers Friend could support the name with the MAC address present as I think that allows someone to use more than 1 tilt of the same colour and the setting is enabled by default so there's less chance of someone encountering problems when setting it up.

upload_2021-3-31_12-9-6.png

I don't have my MAC address turned on, and it still isn't working.

I don't have my MAC address turned on, and it still isn't working.
When you disable the MAC address setting you'll need to go back in to the logging page and re-select the Tilt again so its just the colour name and doesn't include the MAC address:

upload_2021-3-31_13-23-8.png

Once I'd changed it from "GREEN:f5:40:5c:5d:df:df" to "GREEN" it started working for me. Unfortunately when changing the Tilt it will also reset the beer name, cloud URL and any custom calibrations you've set, which is another reason why it would be good if Brewers Friend could support the name with the MAC address.

I never had MAC address turned on.

I never had MAC address turned on.
Ah ok - I thought you meant it still wasn't working after you disabled it. It never worked for me until I disabled the MAC address where as you've had it working so it sounds like its a slightly different problem.

I'd still double check the name on the logging page is just the tilt colour and nothing else just in case. Here's my full logging config:

upload_2021-3-31_14-38-36.png

upload_2021-3-31_10-11-30.png

And mine.

edit: Ugh. I'm an idiot. Once I turned off Default Cloud URL for All, it worked. Is there any way to make that work with BF? It may prevent some support tickets if it could be made to work...

edit: Ugh. I'm an idiot. Once I turned off Default Cloud URL for All, it worked. Is there any way to make that work with BF? It may prevent some support tickets if it could be made to work...

I think the "Use Default Cloud URL for All" overrides what you've got in the Cloud URL field so nothing is sent to the Cloud URL / BF and it continues to use Google Sheets. Other Tilt integrations like BrewFather also say that setting needs to be disabled so it seems to be a TiltPi thing and not something that can be handled by the integration service.

That's great you got it sorted - happy brewing!

We are all idiots at one time or another. Me more than most.

I think the "Use Default Cloud URL for All" overrides what you've got in the Cloud URL field so nothing is sent to the Cloud URL / BF and it continues to use Google Sheets. Other Tilt integrations like BrewFather also say that setting needs to be disabled so it seems to be a TiltPi thing and not something that can be handled by the integration service.

That's great you got it sorted - happy brewing!
Gotcha.

Unless I missed it, that isn't explicit in the docs here.

I've figured it out with help from a friend - the "Use MAC Address" setting in the System configuration needs to be disabled (see image below) otherwise the tilt sends the name with the MAC address ("GREEN:f5:40:5c:5d:df:df" instead of just "GREEN") which I think is confusing the Brewers Friend API. Once that setting is disabled it all works as expected.

It would be good if Brewers Friend could support the name with the MAC address present as I think that allows someone to use more than 1 tilt of the same colour and the setting is enabled by default so there's less chance of someone encountering problems when setting it up.

View attachment 14992

Thanks for discovering this. We have added logic to remove the Mac address from the Color so we can find the linked brew session. In a future update you will be able to choose Color/Mac address during the link brew session so you can use multiple Tilts of the same color for different brews.

Back