Dry Hopping Method

They can’t find me in here. :)
I love the way you guys hijacked this thread! I will continue the hijacking :D
When you dry hop in the keg for those 2 days with pressure - do you also have the keg in the fridge or at room temp?

Cheers!
Anthony

For what it is worth, every dry hop of mine is around after 4 days of fermentation - nearly at FG - and I just drop a nylon bag of hops into the fermenter and seal it up. No pressure, at regular fermentation temperature.

Not exactly your question, but a relevant data point.

I love the way you guys hijacked this thread! I will continue the hijacking :D
When you dry hop in the keg for those 2 days with pressure - do you also have the keg in the fridge or at room temp?

Cheers!
Anthony
I copied this from another post @Megary made in this thread which I believe answers your question:

I put the hops in the stainless screen. Put the screen in the keg. Filled the keg with the beer. Put the lid on and set the regulator to 10-12 pounds. 2 days later, I turned off the regulator, released the pressure, opened the lid, took out the screen, put the lid back on and continued carbing as usual. 3 days later, I was good to go.

I copied this from another post @Megary made in this thread which I believe answers your question:

I put the hops in the stainless screen. Put the screen in the keg. Filled the keg with the beer. Put the lid on and set the regulator to 10-12 pounds. 2 days later, I turned off the regulator, released the pressure, opened the lid, took out the screen, put the lid back on and continued carbing as usual. 3 days later, I was good to go.

OK, I should have read more carefully: "... and continued carbing as usual." means keg in the fridge during the dry hop period. Thanks Craigerrr.

If the hops are going in the keg I chill it immediately. But I only do that if I expect it to be drank quickly, my last keg hopping experience was a bust when the pale ale tasted terrible after a month.

Thanks Craigerrr, Hawkbox, and Megary.
I am guessing that you dry hop in a hop sock or spider. I have a hop spider that I generally use when dry-hopping in the secondary, so I am just wondering - do you drop it to the bottom of the keg, or do you tie it off like you would do in the primary or secondary. Since there won't be anymore yeast activity in the keg, I imagine you can just drop it to the bottom and not worry about it... ? That way you are sure every pull has that hoppy goodness!

Not really sure.

DISREGARD ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!!!
I temporarily suffered from RTFP (Read The F*@#&! Post). Sorry about that.

Last edited:
No worries. I personally don't secondary at all and I just toss the hops in loose. You lose a bit more liquid but I just account for that.

I toss the hops into primary loose, and, I also don't do a secondary.
Cheers

I'm a member of the "Chuck 'em in loose" club as well. I generally shoot for high krauesen: I want the biotransformation, I find beers dry hopped after fermentation is complete to be harsh and I don't want to risk oxidation. Limits me somewhat but I don't care - it's the way I brew.

Is the “chuck ‘em in loose” camp just wanting to avoid the bother with the sock/spider?

Just one more thing to clean (in the case of the spider)?

If I’m going to dry hop in the keg then I assume that I need to use some kind of trap, otherwise the pulled beer is really sludgy...?

By the way, here’s tonight’s dinner - Käsekrainer:
A8451771-2E2D-4E7B-90F2-77D548F11DFA.jpeg

Is the “chuck ‘em in loose” camp just wanting to avoid the bother with the sock/spider?

If I’m going to dry hop in the keg then I assume that I need to use some kind of trap, otherwise the pulled beer is really sludgy...?

View attachment 15001
I have never dry hopped in the keg, but if you do you will definitely need something to contain the hops, but big enough to allow for the expansion from becoming saturated. I once got some hop debris transferred into the keg, man that was rough, the liquid post kept plugging up...
As far as "chuck em in" to the fermenter goes, I have bagged them in the past, and yes, just another thing to clean and fuss around with...

View attachment 15001
The chuck em in loose can be far more bother if any of the hops block a beer disconnect or any of your bottling equipment. For me it's just the better efficiency in getting the materials out of the hops compared to socks/bags. And my process has changed so that the chances of a blockage in filling or dispensing are pretty small.

View attachment 15001
It's just me being an old process geek: Any step i don't do can't go wrong.

I've done it both ways, loose and in a bag, and had troubles with both methods.

Chucking them in had me reverse flushing the transfer line to get the hops unclogged from the fitting to the keg.

The bag got stuck in the racking pipe and again prevented flow into the keg.

Damned if you, damned if you don't.

I generally just don't want to deal with a hop sock afterward and I am pretty careful with my transfers.

I've done it both ways, loose and in a bag, and had troubles with both methods.

Chucking them in had me reverse flushing the transfer line to get the hops unclogged from the fitting to the keg.

The bag got stuck in the racking pipe and again prevented flow into the keg.

Damned if you, damned if you don't.
Does your fermenter have a spigot?
Something tells me that you have a Speidel, yes?

Back