My 02 wand doesn't fit the tank.

Vinyasa

Trial Member
Reaction score
Purchased an aeration kit from northernbrewer.com and the disposable tank from my local hardware store doesn't fit.
It's really close, but it won't actually thread. Do I have the wrong tank?

IMG_0450.jpg

OS5jSrd

That's quite odd, you would think it would be a standard size.

That's quite odd, you would think it would be a standard size.
I believe it is a standard size. I had one of these once before I realized how wasteful all those disposable tanks are. The regulator fit it just fine. Sometimes threading these things can be difficult, though.

I believe it is a standard size. I had one of these once before I realized how wasteful all those disposable tanks are. The regulator fit it just fine. Sometimes threading these things can be difficult, though.

Maybe I just got a bad one. Ill take it back and try a couple more at the store.

Check the tank and make sure it's Oxygen..... If so, it has LEFT HAND thread (Opposite of usual thread) So it will screw on COUNTER CLOCKWISE!!!

That's a good point, it will thread on the opposite of what you're probably used to.

Yeah, righty loosie lefty tightie.

Not righty tighty and then suddenly righty loosey.

That describes me tightening a manifold bolt in an aluminum cylinder head on the car. Ended up being a bad day.

I've done it more than once in my life and it's a really bad feeling.

Learn something new every day. I've only worked with welding torch oxygen and it's left hand if I recall too. Probably should have thought of that.

@Vinyasa So when you go to turn the O2 off, grab the assembly by the brass valve and NOT by the tank. If you grab the tank, you'll unscrew the brass valve!

FWIW, you may also find that the tank is only good for 4 or 5 brews. It contains 1.4 ounces of product, maybe 5 minute's worth at 1 liter per minute. It gets expensive.

I moved over to a fish tank pump and just let it bubble away for 5-7 minutes. Cheaper, about as good.
I do keep my eyes open for a used O2 tank (not the medical type; for that you need a prescription) or might consider renting one from the local welding store; a 2 lb tank should last a year or more. But then I have to buy a regulator...

@Vinyasa So when you go to turn the O2 off, grab the assembly by the brass valve and NOT by the tank. If you grab the tank, you'll unscrew the brass valve!

FWIW, you may also find that the tank is only good for 4 or 5 brews. It contains 1.4 ounces of product, maybe 5 minute's worth at 1 liter per minute. It gets expensive.

I moved over to a fish tank pump and just let it bubble away for 5-7 minutes. Cheaper, about as good.
I do keep my eyes open for a used O2 tank (not the medical type; for that you need a prescription) or might consider renting one from the local welding store; a 2 lb tank should last a year or more. But then I have to buy a regulator...

I'm not sure I understand. There doesn't seem to be a part on the cannister that is removable...?

On the thing that screws on to the cylinder, there is a knob to turn the gas in and off. When turning that knob (valve) off, do not hold the red cylinder, instead hold the body of the thing that screws onto the cylinder. Otherwise while trying to turn off the gas you will unscrew that thing from the cylinder.

On the thing that screws on to the cylinder, there is a knob to turn the gas in and off. When turning that knob (valve) off, do not hold the red cylinder, instead hold the body of the thing that screws onto the cylinder. Otherwise while trying to turn off the gas you will unscrew that thing from the cylinder.

I see. So be sure to turn off with the knob, then unscrew from the cannister. Thanks.

In regards to the cost, it doesn't seem too bad. The 02 cannister itself was $12. If that gets me 4 or 5 uses I can live with that.

Yeah basically if you hold the canister while turning the knob you can unscrew the canister by accident.

Back