Festbier 10 days into fermentation

Hawkinbrau

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So here I am 2 brews in just waiting on this festbier which has been fermenting for 10 days, I’ve taken a sample and this is how its came out? Is this okay, there’s no seeing through it!

The only thing I’ve done wrong as far as the recipe goes is I added the protofloc tablet 15 minutes into the boiler rather than 15 before the end.

I do have some beer finings to add after 2 stable readings?

Is this okay, is it ruined? I have no idea, kinda scared to taste it haha - smells good though...

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Attachments

• 655CFA04-A996-47F1-ADE8-2AE83FA628AD.jpeg
    655CFA04-A996-47F1-ADE8-2AE83FA628AD.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 162
Don't panic, it looks fine. It doesn't always clear up before lagering, and doesn't always clear up period.

Taste it and then let it sit in the fridge for a week or two after you bottle condition it.

She'll be right.

Thanks I did BIAB and squeezed the bag which is controversial and may be a factor I guess.
So the gravity was 1.025 the recipe called for 1.012, I’ll take another tomorrow and see if its stopped, my novice thinking is that after 10 days its unlikely to get much lower? Would you do anything to adjust it or just leave it as is?

Did you take the sample from the bottom through a valve? If so, you might have picked up a bit of yeast off the bottom.

I expect it will be fine. Put it in the fridge for a few hours, you might be surprised how much drops out of it. Here is an example of how much sediment can drop out of your beer. This was a sample that I refrigerated over night. Now this is supposed to be a Hazy beer, but the sediment left in the bottle (on the left) is fairly significant. This sample was taken a full day and a half after FG had been reached.
20210323_171414.jpg

Thanks I did BIAB and squeezed the bag which is controversial and may be a factor I guess.
So the gravity was 1.025 the recipe called for 1.012, I’ll take another tomorrow and see if its stopped, my novice thinking is that after 10 days its unlikely to get much lower? Would you do anything to adjust it or just leave it as is?
Yes from the bottom but the whole brew did look similar

I expect it will be fine. Put it in the fridge for a few hours, you might be surprised how much drops out of it. Here is an example of how much sediment can drop out of your beer. This was a sample that I refrigerated over night. Now this is supposed to be a Hazy beer, but the sediment left in the bottle (on the left) is fairly significant. This sample was taken a full day and a half after FG had been reached.
View attachment 14851
I think the beer glass makes all the difference haha!

I’ll see if this finings stuff helps at all, then the chill. Hopefully it tastes well.

Craigerr makes a good point, put the sample in the fridge for a few hours.

Are you taking your reading with a hydrometer or a refractometer? You need to get the refractometer adjusted if you use one.

Craigerr makes a good point, put the sample in the fridge for a few hours.

Are you taking your reading with a hydrometer or a refractometer? You need to get the refractometer adjusted if you use one.
Refractometer, why do you say it should be adjusted I did the calibration of water at zero?

Is this okay, is it ruined?
No, almost definitely not ruined. It'll be fine, but a bit hazy.

After fermentation, beer gravity is best measured with a hydrometer. As Hawkbox mentioned above, the difference you get with a refractometer can be compensated.

Last edited:
OG & yeast? What temp is it fermenting at? Its probably time to cold crash that batch

Back