8 lb (72.7%) — Gambrinus Pale Malt 2-Row — Grain — 2 SRM

2 lb (18.2%) — Corn, Flaked — Grain — 1.3 SRM

1 lb (9.1%) — Briess Rice, Flaked — Grain — 1 SRM

Hops (1.2 oz)
1.2 oz (14 IBU) — Saaz 4.5% — Boil — 60 min

SRM =3.2
IBU = 14

Try to keep his crisp and clean

I would say so far, so good. What yeast? The right yeast and proper handling can make (or break) that style, IMO.

Good luck!

Feedback on my crsip clean cream Ale

Malts (11 lb)

8 lb (72.7%) — Gambrinus Pale Malt 2-Row — Grain — 2 SRM

2 lb (18.2%) — Corn, Flaked — Grain — 1.3 SRM

1 lb (9.1%) — Briess Rice, Flaked — Grain — 1 SRM

Hops (1.2 oz)
1.2 oz (14 IBU) — Saaz 4.5% — Boil — 60 min

SRM =3.2
IBU = 14

Try to keep his crisp and clean
That looks like it would make a great Kolsch!

All kidding aside, it should make a great beer. You might want to use an American hop. Cluster as a base, some Hallertau or other noble hop at the end. I use that hop schedule for my Kentucky Common, essentially a dark cream ale.

Thanks for the feedback on the yeast and hops.
I was also looking at Willamette for 60mins instead of the saaz.

Either US05 or Krispy undecided yet.
I second the recommendation for BRY-97, at least instead of US-05. (I’m not familiar with Krispy). You want clean and I know BRY-97 gives you that.
I wouldn’t agonize too much about the hops though. Just a touch of bitterness and *maybe* a mild aroma is all you’re looking for. I love Cream Ales and plan on brewing another one in the coming months. I use a dusting of Bravo at the top of the boil and that’s it. But you can’t go wrong with Willamette.

Hope you don't mind if I ask a question about cream ale...
If so, just ignore me:D
What is it that makes a cream ale different than say a typical amber or blonde ale?
I have never considered making a cream ale thinking that you would would need nitro to serve it.
When I think of cram ale, I think of (rightly or wrongly) Boddingtons for instance.
I know it is classed as a bitter, but it is not bitter per se...

Genesee cream ale, you get that in Toronto, no?

What is it that makes a cream ale different than say a typical amber or blonde ale?
I have never considered making a cream ale thinking that you would would need nitro to serve it.
When I think of cram ale, I think of (rightly or wrongly) Boddingtons for instance.
Screenshot_20210319-075029_Hancom Office Editor.jpg

The basic idea, atleast in a modern Cream Ale is to make an ale reminiscent of an American pale lager. Genesee uses the line "smooth like a lager, crisp like an ale". It's often considered a hybrid style. I found interesting in my research that Genesee doesn't prime for carbonation with sugar but instead adds unfermented wort. I didn't copy that step though. I'd be able to give more feedback on the recipe if I hadn't mashed too low and wound up with a really dry beer

I also added 6-row as a nod to the pre-prohibition origins of the style but that's not necessary if you prefer to use all 2-row

I have always thought that CA differs from lager in 2 main ways. 1. Includes one or more adjuncts (rice or corn usually) and in greater percentage than the same breweries lager .. and 2. Made with ale yeast.

The cream ale style was developed to allow breweries that didn't have lagering capabilities to brew something that could compete with the type of lager that was taking over the market.

Personally I'd go with a lower percentage of adjunct unless you add 6-row for extra diastatic power. You're nearly 30 percent and that may be okay but it may be pushing it. Adjunct percentage of 20 percent or so is very good for the basic style. Most brewers get hung up on the "ale" part of the name, Ideally, in flavor profile, it'll be a crisp lager with some fruity esters but not overpowering yeast presence. Dry lager yeast at ale temps is a great way to get a perfect Cream Ale.

This was the recipe I used, been fermenting for a week today.

Malts (10.85 lb)
8.35 lb (77%) — Canada Malting Co 2-Row Malt — Grain — 2 SRM

1.5 lb (13.8%) — Corn, Flaked — Grain — 1.3 SRM

1 lb (9.2%) — Rice, Flaked — Grain — 1 SRM

Hops (1.32 oz)
1.32 oz (18 IBU) — Liberty 5% — Boil — 60 min

Miscs
1 items — Whirlfloc — Boil — 10 min

Yeast
1 pkg — White Labs WLP001 California Ale 80%

Back