Mango - Fresh Frozen

Daniel Parshley

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Have any of you tried using fresh frozen mango? I'm thinking of putting 3 pounds in the blender and adding in the last 5 minutes of the boil, bring to a boil, and shut off. Just enough boil to kill off any unwanted bacteria and yeast. The plan is to strain out the pulp on the way into the fermenter.

I have only ever added dried tangerine rinds late boil, or Cranberry juice at packaging.
I think that most people add fruit like this to a secondary fermentation.
Iam sure that others will provide better responses.

I've put frozen mango in a Berliner twice now and I just mush it in the bag and dump the whole thing in like a dry hop. I imagine blending it would get more extraction though.

Reactions: J A
Have any of you tried using fresh frozen mango?
Yes...did a Mango Wit that turned out great. Didn't add to the boil, though...I simply thawed the mangos, crushed them as much as possible in the bag to macerate somewhat (I think I added some vodka, just in case) and put them directly into secondary fermentation. Frozen foods are generally put through some sort of sanitizing process before flash freezing and so shouldn't present much problem with contamination.

I would also presume that 180 F water will sterilize just as readily as 212 F water in a very short time (couple minutes at most)

I'd suspect so yeah.

I would also presume that 180 F water will sterilize just as readily as 212 F water in a very short time (couple minutes at most)
Very good point...adding fruit at whirlpool rather than boil will save some flavor. You'd have to be prepared to dump the entire kettle contents into the fermenter along with any kettle trub and hop sediment.

Very good point...adding fruit at whirlpool rather than boil will save some flavor. You'd have to be prepared to dump the entire kettle contents into the fermenter along with any kettle trub and hop sediment.

A target of 180 degrees is a good idea, as is the vodka. I hope to settle out most of the solids, pour slowly, and strain the last of it even if it means throwing out a bit more than usual. A muslin bag we use for grain was a hot tip I received and it works well for straining from the boil and on the end of the tubing from the fermenter to the secondary/bottling bucket for those times when it is needed.

Back