Pilsner / Munich Recipe?

Steve SPF

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have a bag of each and would like to have a go at something with them both in next week. I'e used Munich and really like what it brings but Pilsner is not a malt I'm familiar with.

I don't want to brew a lager so the question is are there any recipes or thoughts out there on an ale of some sort using those malts?

TIA

Assuming you want to use both malts in the same recipe, I would consider an IPA. I realize that's the easy answer, but I think they work great together in this style.

Here's one of my favorites:
https://troegs.com/beer/perpetual-ipa/

As far as the percentages of each, well that's a bit personal. I would suspect most would lean on the Pilsner and add Munich to taste. I like about 20-30% Munich, but there's a dial there to turn for sure.

I use Pilsner as a base malt in almost every beer. It's just the same 2-row malt, dried a little lighter. Depending on it's malting process and country of origin, you might perceive a difference in flavor between Pilsner malts. The difference between most Pilsners and most regular 2-row malt is that the Pilsner will usually have a slightly drier finish with a sweetness that's more cereal/malty and less caramel/candy.
Once you add the Munich in any significant proportion, it's flavor takes over anyway. Any IPA/Pale Ale recipe will do just fine with a Pilsner/Munich grain bill. I like to add some toasted malt like Victory for a nutty/cracker component in the flavor.

Thanks for replies, it looks like brewing one of my regular beers and using pilsner instead of Maris Otter might be the way to go.

I use Pilsner as a base malt in almost every beer. It's just the same 2-row malt, dried a little lighter. Depending on it's malting process and country of origin, you might perceive a difference in flavor between Pilsner malts. The difference between most Pilsners and most regular 2-row malt is that the Pilsner will usually have a slightly drier finish with a sweetness that's more cereal/malty and less caramel/candy.
Once you add the Munich in any significant proportion, it's flavor takes over anyway. Any IPA/Pale Ale recipe will do just fine with a Pilsner/Munich grain bill. I like to add some toasted malt like Victory for a nutty/cracker component in the flavor.
@Steve SPF I too, use pilsner as a base malt on a regular basis. I like a Pils/Vienna blend the most I think. However, I use Munich malt quite a bit too but not as much as I used to. You will notice a difference subing out MO for Pilsner. Good luck and have fun experimenting!

Oh, Pilsner with a touch of victory or even carared is a nice blend!

The lager that I have lagering now has 8lbs of Pilsner and 2lbs on Munich.

I don't have the patience for lager in all honesty, and it's not something I like to drink. I might brew a lager sometime out of curiosity but there are lots of other styles for me first

I was showing how I used the combination of the grains. I agree this lagering thing is way too much anticipation. I had to try at least once.

Schwarzbier is older than lager yeast, so you could always go historical and do that grist with an ale yeast. I quite like the little bit of extra flavour that way.

That's good to know. I'm running out of Maris but I have 20kg of Pilsner malt just sitting there - I have not been very successful brewing Pils - so I can use that instead of the Maris. Excellent, never though about it that way before. Silly me but it seems obvious now.

I have a bag of each and would like to have a go at something with them both in next week. I'e used Munich and really like what it brings but Pilsner is not a malt I'm familiar with.

I don't want to brew a lager so the question is are there any recipes or thoughts out there on an ale of some sort using those malts?

TIA
I use both.
I'd be supprised if you could tell the difference especially if your going to be using specialty malts in the grist as well.
As JA pointed at one is just kilned lighter.
Now opposed to Marris otter now there will be a difference to match this malt with just pils malt you'd need to add some Vienna and or biscuit malt to the grist to get them flavours.

That's good to know. I'm running out of Maris but I have 20kg of Pilsner malt just sitting there - I have not been very successful brewing Pils - so I can use that instead of the Maris. Excellent, never though about it that way before. Silly me but it seems obvious now.
Maris Otter has a distinctive flavor in my experience. It's different from other "standard" 2-row malts from most maltsters. There's a fruity, slightly crystal-malt sweetness to it. As noted elswhere, you'll probably see more difference between Pilsner malt and MO than between Pilsner and most 2-rows but unless it's a SMASH, the difference won't be all that substantial to the overall recipe. :)

Back