Tap cleaning

nephtwim@icloud.com

Trial Member
Reaction score
Got a single tap kegerator connected to a 5-gallon cornelius keg with a ball lock valve. What is the rule for cleaning the tap. Every day, or less frequently? And, what's the process you guys usually follow before removing the tap?

I take mine apart and clean it between kegs. This is in my pub room where it gets sun most of the day. My other tap in the basement doesn't get cleaned that often, a few times a year. I do get some brown crap inside the tap which gets sun so I know it is not over kill, it needs it.

all I do once or twice a year is fill a keg with star-sans water and run it out the tap onto another keg then repeat the other 4 taps with the same water, make sure you work the handle back and fourth several times to clean out the sticking issue

BLC (beer line cleaner) is a product made for this. It removes the beer stone that builds up in the lines and the tap. I put some in a keg and run it in the line and tap, let it sit for awhile then flush with sanitizer, then flush sanitizer with beer.

I made one of the cleaners in the following link. It was pretty cheap and it works wonders. I usually just run some BLC solution then I'll run one or two tanks worth of water through.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=226497

[Edit]
Also, I usually only clean between kegs (or less often as I can be supremely lazy).

cearum said:
I made one of the cleaners in the following link. It was pretty cheap and it works wonders. I usually just run some BLC solution then I'll run one or two tanks worth of water through.

[Edit]
Also, I usually only clean between kegs (or less often as I can be supremely lazy).

Nice DIY project. Shows your thinking.

cearum said:

[Edit]

I second GernBlanston, great DIY idea! I appreciate you sharing this and taking the time to reply to my question. That goes for everybody that replied. Many thanks.

When one of my kegs become empty, I clean my keg first. Then I fill the proper amount of line cleaner in my keg and run that through the line and tap. After that, I put some star san in the same keg and run that through the line and tap as well. I use a little brush to clean the tap and that's it. Never had a problem with this process.

griz said:
When one of my kegs become empty, I clean my keg first. Then I fill the proper amount of line cleaner in my keg and run that through the line and tap. After that, I put some star san in the same keg and run that through the line and tap as well. I use a little brush to clean the tap and that's it. Never had a problem with this process.

Good to know that you don't have any infection problems with this process. I was concerned that if I didn't clean the tap pretty frequently, I might have the infection problems that some commercial bars have when they don't clean their lines and taps. Thanks for the info.

Back