Apricot Wheat

mrskittle

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to make my first fruit beer and I'm looking for any practical advice. I have a good American Wheat recipe that I've made a number of times. I have used apricot extract in a couple but the flavor just isn't what I'm shooting for. I feel like there's no way to get a subtle flavor from the extract. I've heard in a couple of different places that using both fruit puree along with a little bit of extract is the way to go, so that's what I'm going to try. I've got 5 gallons fermenting now. When it's time, I'm going to split it in two and put half into a secondary with the apricot and leave the rest in the original fermenter and dry-hop with some cascade.

Beware of pectin. Most fruits have a bit and they are released/formed at higher temperatures. I made a fig pale ale with fresh figs. I tried to sanitize the figs with heat, but I went too high. I had a bunch of “fig jelly” clogging up the keg system. The only upside was that it tasted good.

I'm going to make my first fruit beer and I'm looking for any practical advice. I have a good American Wheat recipe that I've made a number of times. I have used apricot extract in a couple but the flavor just isn't what I'm shooting for. I feel like there's no way to get a subtle flavor from the extract. I've heard in a couple of different places that using both fruit puree along with a little bit of extract is the way to go, so that's what I'm going to try. I've got 5 gallons fermenting now. When it's time, I'm going to split it in two and put half into a secondary with the apricot and leave the rest in the original fermenter and dry-hop with some cascade.
I think you're on the right track. Oregon Fruit puree is great stuff. You can adjust with just a bit of extract if needed.
https://labelpeelers.com/wine-makin...ANedtX8R9BgkzZsgbiRhuCQBg-Hoe4lMaAlSqEALw_wcB

I have made 5 apricot wheat beers with the same recipe, one third place in a competition. For the apricot taste, I puree two cans of apricot from the local grocery and toss it in. This is in a 6 gallon batch! The local micro brew wants to make it but has bought the extract, time will tell!!

Reactions: J A
I have made 5 apricot wheat beers with the same recipe, one third place in a competition. For the apricot taste, I puree two cans of apricot from the local grocery and toss it in. This is in a 6 gallon batch! The local micro brew wants to make it but has bought the extract, time will tell!!

What size cans do you use? Apricot meant for brewing/winemaking comes in really big cans, 2 or 3 lbs. Is there a pounds/gallon ratio that I should adhere to? After browsing through some recipes I'm not seeing much of a trend with the fruit treatment. The one thing I know is that I want to go with canned puree so I don't have to worry about boiling it.

What size cans do you use? Apricot meant for brewing/winemaking comes in really big cans, 2 or 3 lbs. Is there a pounds/gallon ratio that I should adhere to? After browsing through some recipes I'm not seeing much of a trend with the fruit treatment. The one thing I know is that I want to go with canned puree so I don't have to worry about boiling it.
Apricots are a pretty light flavored fruit. You could do 2 lbs per gallon pretty easy.

I used 16 oz cans, the taste was light but it was there!

So this is exactly why I'm out fishing for input on the fruit addition. We've got thunderwagon recommending 2 lbs/gal and Dogwood recommending less than half pound/gal.

So this is exactly why I'm out fishing for input on the fruit addition. We've got thunderwagon recommending 2 lbs/gal and Dogwood recommending less than half pound/gal.
Notice the comment about light flavor. Thats why I suggested about 2lbs per gallon if you want more. Add to that taste is subjective. Some like subtle, just a hint, some want to know its there without question, and others want in your face.
It may be something you have to brew several times to adjust to your liking.
I'm not a big extract fan at all but in little amounts it can help bring some flavor around. Less is more usually when using extract.

I used pure cranberry juice in a Cranberry Chocolate Stout.

Is there such a thing is pure filtered apricot juice with no additives?

I did a small batch using about the ratio that was sort of in-between, if my memory serves me right - something like 2 cans in a 2.5 gallon batch. Pureed with a little vodka and dumped in after krausen.
Also have done a Mango Wit using frozen mango and handled the same way. The mango ratio was probably around 3 lbs in a 5 gallon batch. Mango being a much stronger flavor, it worked out extremely well. :)

Notice the comment about light flavor. Thats why I suggested about 2lbs per gallon if you want more. Add to that taste is subjective. Some like subtle, just a hint, some want to know its there without question, and others want in your face.
It may be something you have to brew several times to adjust to your liking.
I'm not a big extract fan at all but in little amounts it can help bring some flavor around. Less is more usually when using extract.

Not per gallon, per 5.5 gallon batch! I dont like a big fruit batch though, I first had this beer at Fitgers brewery in Duluth MN. My GF loved it so I got a kit and it turned out great. They had the grains on the package so I made more and gave it a bit more malty flavor. Their recipe had extract in it but being a frugal brewer, I used grocery store apricot and pureed it and it came out better!

Last edited:
Not per gallon, per 5.5 gallon batch!
I realize that on your end, but on light fruits like peach and apricot or even strawberries, up to around 2# per gallon isn't out of the norm. Depends what your tastes are. On light fruit I wouldn't use less than 1# per gallon to start, but that's just me.

Thanks for the input folks. I think I'm going to go with about a pound per gallon on this first batch and see how it turns out. I was talking with some folks from my local brew club and someone mentioned Amoretti brand. My LHBS has a small container of the stuff made for brewing. The guy I talked to tried the cherry flavor and said it worked well. It's supposed to be super-concentrate and 8 oz is enough for 5 gallons. The first review of the apricot was about successfully using it in a brew. Has anyone ever used this stuff? Here a link

https://amoretti.com/collections/na...-apricot-artisan-flavor?variant=6445121306656

As thunderwagon said a few posts back, it will be a trial and error process until I find what we like.

Thanks for the input folks. I think I'm going to go with about a pound per gallon on this first batch and see how it turns out. I was talking with some folks from my local brew club and someone mentioned Amoretti brand. My LHBS has a small container of the stuff made for brewing. The guy I talked to tried the cherry flavor and said it worked well. It's supposed to be super-concentrate and 8 oz is enough for 5 gallons. The first review of the apricot was about successfully using it in a brew. Has anyone ever used this stuff? Here a link

https://amoretti.com/collections/na...-apricot-artisan-flavor?variant=6445121306656

As thunderwagon said a few posts back, it will be a trial and error process until I find what we like.
We use it all the time making hard seltzers. It's great stuff.

Back