I brewed today!

Quickest brew day EVER!
Brewed Aldi Cider fitting name it's Aldi Apple juice :).View attachment 14353
There she be.
Fermenting 31.5c with Framgarden Slurry 3rd gen OG came in at 1.044
I'm starting to think the juice varies 2-4 points of gravity per bottle.
Added 1 tsp nutrient and half teaspoon of gypsum.
Oh no pressure on fermentation will just run co2 through keg.
Is 31.5 *C your ambient air temp, or are you adding heat to reach that temperature?

Is 31.5 *C your ambient air temp, or are you adding heat to reach that temperature?
Got the heat belt switched on.
Actually added them bottles of juice to Esky (cooler) yesterday and set STC to 31c before pitching into fermentor today.
Ambient average is around 25c well that's what controller read when I put them in Esky.
I'm using framgarden if ale yeast I'd be running 18c
This'll be an upsize to that other mini batch I did recently.

Quickest brew day EVER!
Brewed Aldi Cider fitting name it's Aldi Apple juice :).View attachment 14353
There she be.
Fermenting 31.5c with Framgarden Slurry 3rd gen OG came in at 1.044
I'm starting to think the juice varies 2-4 points of gravity per bottle.
Added 1 tsp nutrient and half teaspoon of gypsum.
Oh no pressure on fermentation will just run co2 through keg.

I quit even checking gravity on store bought apple juice. It gives you 6 to 6 1/2% ABV using Champagne yeast without any sugar added, which is just about right for the wife's taste. Just put one up Friday with 4 gallons of Langer's apple juice and 1/2 gallon of Cranberry Cocktail that'd been sitting in the pantry for several months. Got it fermenting in the spare bedroom with the heater vent shut down. It stays at ~60F in there. Nice not having it interfere with my beer fermentation schedule.

I quit even checking gravity on store bought apple juice. It gives you 6 to 6 1/2% ABV using Champagne yeast without any sugar added, which is just about right for the wife's taste. Just put one up Friday with 4 gallons of Langer's apple juice and 1/2 gallon of Cranberry Cocktail that'd been sitting in the pantry for several months. Got it fermenting in the spare bedroom with the heater vent shut down. It stays at ~60F in there. Nice not having it interfere with my beer fermentation schedule.
Nice whilst shopping yesterday i spied some blackcurrent juice I'm going to try some of this mixed in next batch.

1 gallon of Chinook single hop pale ale. I managed to hit 75% brewhouse efficiency using BIAB on the stove top, so pretty pleased with that :)
20210223_131339.jpg

I try to brew once a week, if I'm lucky it'll be twice. I mostly do 1 gallon batches (tho I recently acquired a 3 gal fermenter), so yea I have various 6 packs in different stages of conditioning. I usually drink it all too quickly lol But I really enjoy the variety of styles I can do with small batches. Or single hop beers to expand my hop pallette and vocabulary. I've been out from work since October and brewing is one of of few physical activities that I can do. Brewing has honestly been keeping me sane while recovering from an injury during a pandemic :confused: so yes, I brew as often as I can

I try to brew once a week, if I'm lucky it'll be twice. I mostly do 1 gallon batches (tho I recently acquired a 3 gal fermenter), so yea I have various 6 packs in different stages of conditioning. I usually drink it all too quickly lol But I really enjoy the variety of styles I can do with small batches. Or single hop beers to expand my hop pallette and vocabulary. I've been out from work since October and brewing is one of of few physical activities that I can do. Brewing has honestly been keeping me sane while recovering from an injury during a pandemic :confused: so yes, I brew as often as I can
I'm envious. Sorry to hear about your injury. If we can get a break in the pandemic, I want to try smaller batches for variety and to share with family and friends

I brewed a stout today and I have my fingers crossed since I'm using some Kveik slurry that's second generation and about 4 months old...if the little buggers are doing their job come morning, I'm gonna be thinking about a fall back plan,,,what's the consensus group? Sprinkle some S04 on the top??

You might pick up a few points by playing around with the crush, but not guaranteed. Maybe not rightly so, but I always assume small batch brewers buy their grains pre milled.
Do you mill your own? Great if you do.
I buy grains from 2 different lhbs. At the old lhbs (Phantom Ales), customers are allowed to weigh and mill their own grains, but they do not permit gap adjustment. There, I always run my grains through twice. At the new lhbs (Windsor Home Brew Supply) they do the weighing and the milling of the grains. Their mill is fancy, and has a setting that is great for BIAB, so I request that setting. Either way works for me, and beer gets brewed.

Back