You know you did it wrong when...

You won't get an accurate hydrometer reading off that.
No, I wouldn’t think so. And I figure I need at least 6 more inches of clear wort to get an accurate reading. I highly doubt it will compact that much. Thankfully this is a house recipe and given my pre-boil gravity and volumes all lined up to what was expected, I already know the OG...same as it always is. But, lesson learned.

No, I wouldn’t think so. And I figure I need at least 6 more inches of clear wort to get an accurate reading. I highly doubt it will compact that much. Thankfully this is a house recipe and given my pre-boil gravity and volumes all lined up to what was expected, I already know the OG...same as it always is. But, lesson learned.
It looks tasty to me!
Top part that is anyhow you can keep your brake material...

It's starting to get cold here in Minnesota. We have a refrigerator out in the garage. Usually don't have any trouble in the winter, gets enough heat form the house. But Minnesota is going through a cool spell , well actually its a cold spell. We did have a case of Pepsi in that fridge...

upload_2021-2-11_14-37-54.png

upload_2021-2-11_14-38-35.png

Flipped around somehow and plastered itself to the side of the fridge.

It's starting to get cold here in Minnesota. We have a refrigerator out in the garage. Usually don't have any trouble in the winter, gets enough heat form the house. But Minnesota is going through a cool spell , well actually its a cold spell. We did have a case of Pepsi in that fridge...
View attachment 14210
View attachment 14211
Flipped around somehow and plastered itself to the side of the fridge.

Bottle Bombs and Can Grenades! Who knew carbonated beverages could be so dangerous?
But more importantly, the beer's ok, right?

There is a case of store bought on the other shelf (can't mention the brand , I would get kicked off Brewers Friend) I left it thinking it shouldn't freeze. I guess I will know later. All the home brew is safely in the kegerator and fridge in the basement safe and sound.

And PBR is even better. It has medaled at the GABF almost every year that I can remember, with many of them being silver or gold. Even many of us fat guys don't drink low octane beer :D

Last edited:
Well after a winter break I am back at it! Got my shop all nice and warm, cleaned up all the brewing equipment, grain ground, hops weighed and I'm feeling good!
Water is up to temp.......mashing in and temp is holding....all's good right.....well i go back into the shop and on the brewing table is......................................... Dumb Ass!!

Strainer.jpg

Well after a winter break I am back at it! Got my shop all nice and warm, cleaned up all the brewing equipment, grain ground, hops weighed and I'm feeling good!
Water is up to temp.......mashing in and temp is holding....all's good right.....well i go back into the shop and on the brewing table is......................................... Dumb Ass!!

View attachment 14509

I did the same thing with a brew that was 90% flame-out hops. Didn't see them sitting on the kitchen table until I was about to transfer to the fermenter. :oops:

Oooh, that's not good. Can you just connect it all up and sink it into the mash?
A good case for checklists

You know you did it wrong when you come inside to grab your hops and you notice the 1.75 pounds of flaked barley that you were supposed to cap your mash with.

No wonder my pre-boil gravity was low!

I guess I'll do a 1.5 hour boil and hope for the best!

When you are cleaning a keg that you had put a floating dip tube in, and dang if you can't find the float in there anywhere! Just the silicone tube... I'm amazed that A) It worked, and B) I got every drop out of the keg!

Been There....What was your recovery move?? Mine was to dump the mash into my recently emptied HLT, attached the manifold, dumped the mash back in and called it "stirring my mash"!

Back