Any Wine Makers Here?

Do you ever buy corks off Amazon as well? I've been reading around and sounds like #8 natural would probably be what I want...but there's so many and the prices are all over the place.
I bought 100 #9 corks from Label Peelers. I haven't needed to replenish as yet. The corks have worked well, so unless I run across a sale, I will probably stick with them.

Do you ever buy corks off Amazon as well? I've been reading around and sounds like #8 natural would probably be what I want...but there's so many and the prices are all over the place.

For the decent kit, you’ll want 1.5” #9 corks, most likely. They can be tough with a hand corker, but I can do it so I know you could too!

Preparing to rack my 1st wine to secondary.

PXL_20210306_175314786.MP.jpg

I used No. 7 corks and they leak. I moved to No. 8's and they seem fine for everyday wine that you will drink within a couple months, and they go in fairly easy. If you want to keep them for long term No 9's are probably the way to go.

I purchased 9x1¹/²" nomacorcs. I went with synthetic corks after reading the bottles can be stored upright. Being able to stack in boxes helps in the space I have available.

No. You just don’t want potassium sorbate or benzoate. Citric acid is for flavor and ascorbic acid is Vitamin C, and they don’t interfere with fermentation at all.

Thanks Yopper!

Does anyone have a yeast suggestion for this stuff? I've used S04 on the last couple of times I made this but was wondering if there was a cheap and more "Wine Centric" yeast out there?

Thanks Yopper!

Does anyone have a yeast suggestion for this stuff? I've used S04 on the last couple of times I made this but was wondering if there was a cheap and more "Wine Centric" yeast out there?
I'm a total wine noob but I think Ec118 seems to be the standard wine yeast. I've used it before when making mead.

I'm a total wine noob but I think Ec118 seems to be the standard wine yeast. I've used it before when making mead.
It is a standard. It's a champagne yeast, very forgiving, not picky about temperature, highly alcohol tolerant. But it will give you a very dry finish and reduced body. Wife generally doesn't use it and I use it for baking bread.

This wine business is a little addicting!
So just one bottle a week then is it? :D

Took the plunge Wednesday at the LHBS and bought an $80 4-week wine kit. Once a fermenter opens up I'll open it, follow the instructions, and see what happens. The final product will be kegged though, stored & dispensed at 1 PSI so it's not Prosecco. The 'excess' might be bottled or just imbibed fresh...

I decided to go for a premium wine on my next batch as the wife is getting stale on the everyday stuff. I was surprised that Label Peelers has by far the best prices. Thanks for the tip.

Back