3 straight dry brews

Is your kettle thick stainless steel or aluminum? I’m not a fan of using the burner during my mash unless I’m trying to caramelize some of the wort or create a step-mash without decoctions. It just creates too many different hot spots and temperature currents to be predictable, and you really shouldn’t ever need it. If your single-infusion BIAB mash temps don’t hold for an hour with BIAB would you benefit from a thicker kettle?

I upped my mash time by 15 minutes after low efficiency on my first BIAB but that was also the one where I didn't double mill my grains. So I might be ok if I drop it back to an hour. Holding the temperature has been my biggest struggle. I can see the appeal now of those electric all-in-ones but for me right now that's just a dream
You don't have to spend a lot of money for what is basically convenience, but you do have to have equipment that is capable of pulling off its purpose. I mashed in a cooler for years and temps would hold easily for an hour. Nothing written in stone that says you need to mash for an hour either. How accurate is your thermometer? Personally, I would rather spend a dollar or two more on grain to increase efficiency if it's low or to low for your liking.

I would guess high attenuating yeast. but could be mashing at too low a temperature or wild yeast infection. if your finishing gravity is much lower than expected that might be it. I would use a good brewing sanitizer like iodophor or similar and replace grungy looking tubing.

I would guess high attenuating yeast. but could be mashing at too low a temperature or wild yeast infection. if your finishing gravity is much lower than expected that might be it. I would use a good brewing sanitizer like iodophor or similar and replace grungy looking tubing.
Yeah I'm guessing it's the temperature. Because I know each of them dipped low at some point. My tubing looks fine but I'm keeping an eye on it. I've been filling/soaking it with PBW and the hanging to dry and then starsan right before making any transfers. Don't think it's the yeast only because I've gotten higher attenuation from that same strain without the dryness. Infact that recipe is the same as one of the affected brews except one was a SMaSH with Northern Brewer and the other one Citra. I'm going to strike hotter on my next brew and I'm using a different yeast this time anyways so I'm hoping it turns out better. Although they haven't been awful, just don't meet my high standards.

I could but I just hate the idea of paying for water. I might have to. But I also had 4 good brews with the same water with only carbon filtering and didn't have that issue. Not unless my tap water changes in the winter. I need to get a water quality report I guess
Tap water changes seasonally, in some locations at least. Tough to generalize but a call to your water office should settle that issue. I don't think it's water, actually, but temperature as you originally thought. pH matters, so variation in your water will have an effect. Call your local water office and ask them, they should tell you if your water varies. "Dry" becomes complex because there are two interdependent variables in play. If your temperature is back under control and you're still having the issue, look to the water.

Tap water changes seasonally, in some locations at least. Tough to generalize but a call to your water office should settle that issue. I don't think it's water, actually, but temperature as you originally thought. pH matters, so variation in your water will have an effect. Call your local water office and ask them, they should tell you if your water varies. "Dry" becomes complex because there are two interdependent variables in play. If your temperature is back under control and you're still having the issue, look to the water.
Yeah this is where I've come back to in thinking about it myself. I did order campden tablets so I might give that a try if it's not going to hurt anything else

Campden tablets degrade the chlorine or chloramine to a negligible amount of chloride and sulfate plus a tiny amount of sodium. It won't hurt anything at all. As mentioned, get the temperature under control (it's easier), then look to the water. Chlorophenols, what you're fighting with Campden tablets, aren't dry, they have a nasty chemical taste - if you ever had Chloraseptic for a sore throat as a kid, that's the flavor.

Campden tablets degrade the chlorine or chloramine to a negligible amount of chloride and sulfate plus a tiny amount of sodium. It won't hurt anything at all. As mentioned, get the temperature under control (it's easier), then look to the water. Chlorophenols, what you're fighting with Campden tablets, aren't dry, they have a nasty chemical taste - if you ever had Chloraseptic for a sore throat as a kid, that's the flavor.
Yeah I figured that out when I started to dig into more research about it but I still smell chlorine in my tap so it's probably good I got it. I'm assuming since that's not my big problem I can skip the carbon filtering if I use the tablets or would you still do both?

Steve, you say:
"I've been filling/soaking it with PBW and the hanging to dry and then starsan right before making any transfers."
Are you thoroughly rinsing after PBW?
Also
If you haven't been using a campden tablet chlorine/chloromine will have been affecting your beer flavor negatively. I am not "up" on the science and resulting off flavors, it has been a while since I dealt with that issue.

Steve, you say:
"I've been filling/soaking it with PBW and the hanging to dry and then starsan right before making any transfers."
Are you thoroughly rinsing after PBW?
Also
If you haven't been using a campden tablet chlorine/chloromine will have been affecting your beer flavor negatively. I am not "up" on the science and resulting off flavors, it has been a while since I dealt with that issue.
Yes I left that out as I figured it was implied but I guess I should be thorough when asking for help... Sorry! I do rinse everything in-between

N oworries, just checking.
Go ahead an mash a little higher, but definitely deal with the chlorine.

The old adage that if the water is good enough to drink it is good enough to make beer with, is NOT good advice to give a new brewer.

Yeah I figured that out when I started to dig into more research about it but I still smell chlorine in my tap so it's probably good I got it. I'm assuming since that's not my big problem I can skip the carbon filtering if I use the tablets or would you still do both?
You don't need the filter if you use Campden.

Back