very confused

daemon

Trial Member
Reaction score
I just started a 4 gallon batch last week in a 5 gallon primary. it has been about 5-6 days so far and it has slowed way down on the bubbling like almost once every couple of minutes. I took a gravity reading last night and got a 1.020 from an OG of 1.152 should I rack this into my secondary or leave it a few more days. I am using WYeast dry mead yeast.

Check it in 2 days. See if the gravity has changed. That will answer your question.

Well I took the advice and waited a little bit on the racking until the FG steadied out at 1.016 and the taste is more of a beer so far. Now granted it is a sweeter beer than I have tried before but does not quite have the honey taste that I was originally looking for. any advice?

Are you making mead or beer?
Mead yeast should clean up any sugars in a beer recipe (unless you went crazy with crystal or some weird sugar that won't ferment).
If you are making mead, it needs 6-9 months to really get good. I have some that is 4 years old and it's heavenly. Patience is a virtue in mead production (and also a large wallet- honey is expensive). IMHO

Back