Irish Pale Ale

Hawkinbrau

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi,

So I'm super keen and going to jump right into recipe creation - I've pulled htis together to have a stab at producing a lovely local beer I found whilst away at work and Irish Pale ale :

Reviewed here: https://untappd.com/b/franciscan-well-brewery-chieftain/649294

I've put it in here:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1123781/cheiftain-ipa-irish-pale-ale-clone-

I did find online the malts and hops used and came up with this.

Let me know what you think - this will be my third brew so be kind haha!

Thanks
Matthew

Looking at the description of this beer on their web-site, it looks like you have the right ingredients for sure. Without having tasted it, I would agree with @Josh Hughes that 20% Crystal seems heavy-handed to say the least. I'd be inclined to suggest 7-8% unless you have reason to believe its definitely more.

I would also suggest bittering with Magnum instead of Citra, moving your 20 minute additions to 10, and your 10 minute additions to knockout/whirlpool. You might also consider a dry-hop. Again, I've never tried this beer, so this is all just a wild guess.

Good luck. Seems like a really interesting beer.

Looking at the description of this beer on their web-site, it looks like you have the right ingredients for sure. Without having tasted it, I would agree with @Josh Hughes that 20% Crystal seems heavy-handed to say the least. I'd be inclined to suggest 7-8% unless you have reason to believe its definitely more.

I would also suggest bittering with Magnum instead of Citra, moving your 20 minute additions to 10, and your 10 minute additions to knockout/whirlpool. You might also consider a dry-hop. Again, I've never tried this beer, so this is all just a wild guess.

Good luck. Seems like a really interesting beer.
Okay Thank you, I've ordered the grains so I'll see what I can do by just reducing the crystal and I'll definitely re-arrange the hops as per your comments!

Don't let them talk you out of trying what you wrote up either, I agree it's a lot of crystal but you might like it.

I'd definitely move the magnum to the start and the Citra to right near the end too, Citra is the really citrusy hop and leaving it in that long will kill off most of the flavour and aroma. Magnum is primarily used for bittering so it's good to toss in up front.

Looks good though, I hate whole leaf hops personally but if you have them then use em.

I would definitely not use Citra for bittering. Magnum is much smoother and more appropriate for that. Save the Citra for late additions only.Tettnanger is going to get buried so I'd just skip it and stick to Magnum and Citra.

Magnum is a great bittering hop!
Good luck with it!

I would definitely not use Citra for bittering. Magnum is much smoother and more appropriate for that. Save the Citra for late additions only.Tettnanger is going to get buried so I'd just skip it and stick to Magnum and Citra.

Good point, probably not worth even putting the Tettnang in for this.

According to Franciscan Well Brewing they do use Tettnanger, so I'd be inclined to keep it. Whether it adds anything is debatable, but without actually trying the original its pretty hard to say.
If it weren't for the Citra, I'd say it's a great hop addition. I've used it many times and it pairs extremely well with Magnum bittering. Even using equal amount of the Magnum in the same addition is covering it up somewhat but once the 2X amount of Citra hits the mix, it'll take over
Not going to hurt a thing if it's there but I'd be surprised if they used it in the way the OP's recipe is laid out. Almost certainly, they'd bitter exclusively with Magnum, add the Tettnanger as late addition and use all the Citra in whirlpool and dry-hopping.

If it weren't for the Citra, I'd say it's a great hop addition. I've used it many times and it pairs extremely well with Magnum bittering. Even using equal amount of the Magnum in the same addition is covering it up somewhat but once the 2X amount of Citra hits the mix, it'll take over
Not going to hurt a thing if it's there but I'd be surprised if they used it in the way the OP's recipe is laid out. Almost certainly, they'd bitter exclusively with Magnum, add the Tettnanger as late addition and use all the Citra in whirlpool and dry-hopping.
+1 to all of that.
I think the OP should contact them and ask, "Hey, what's with the Tettnanger?". :)

According to the brewery, "it's the water". Sounds like an ole Olympia comercial :)
Frenciscan Well.jpg

Or how they treat their source water. The implication is there, but nothing else. Olympia never told us which artesian well(s) they used either :)

Back