Carbonating Sour Beer

PackerDan

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have my first attempt at sour beer that's been sitting for almost two years now. Getting ready to bottle it but after all this time I don't want to mess it up. I've read a few things but unclear on what I need to do for successful carbonation. Is there still enough viable yeast in suspension so I can just throw in some sugar like I always do or do I need to add some kind of yeast to the bottling bucket to make sure it carbonates? I used Wyeast 3763 - Roeselare Ale Blend.

That's a good question, after 2 years I'd suspect most of it would have died but I don't know much about souring over time.

For lack of a better options, about 7 months ago I transferred it from a glass carboy to a corny keg to rest on some mixed berries. I pulled the release valve a couple of times and something is happening in there to create a little bit of pressure. Maybe sugar from the berries got the yeast going again. I'm just not sure there's enough there to really carbonate with. That's why I was thinking maybe a little US-05 would help with carbonation when I go to bottle it.

Some S05 couldn't hurt.
I'd think after 2 years if you bottled and didn't get no carbonation you might end up in a loony asylum lol.
If add some for insurance. My miniscule .02c. See what others have to say though.

I guess then that begs the question: how much US-05? A whole packet? A teaspoon?

After a bunch of batches waiting for the carbonation to happen, I've started adding a small amount of yeast at bottling. Without adding the yeast I was able to get carbonation to happen for most, but not all bottles, but it was always less than I wanted. I bulk age mixed ferments for 3 months or 12 months or longer. The three month batches don't need the yeast, but all the 12 month plus batches are now getting some yeast.

I add about 2-3 g of US05 to the sugar solution in a fermenter, push about 10 litres of beer out of the keg where it's been aging and then bottle from the fermenter. Then brew another batch to refill the keg and wait 12 months and repeat. I'm guessing I could use less yeast, but it's a pain to try and add less.

I have my first attempt at sour beer that's been sitting for almost two years now. Getting ready to bottle it but after all this time I don't want to mess it up. I've read a few things but unclear on what I need to do for successful carbonation. Is there still enough viable yeast in suspension so I can just throw in some sugar like I always do or do I need to add some kind of yeast to the bottling bucket to make sure it carbonates? I used Wyeast 3763 - Roeselare Ale Blend.
After that long, add yeast. You don't need much, but definitely add some.

Depends. Roeselare blend contains brett and typically brett will keep going till there's nothing left at all to go on. Adding priming sugar at this point would possibly work, but it will most likely take many months for carbonation. After 18 months or so, from what I've read in the American Sours book, adding a bit of yeast with the priming sugar can speed things along. add approx 2 grams per 5 gallons. Depending on your acidity, ph, and alcohol level, a wine yeast and or brett would work also. You'll want something that floccs really well.

If you like doing sours and you don't already have it, I highly suggest the book American Sours by Michael Tonsmeire. Even if you're not that into sours, it's still an excellent book.

Depends. Roeselare blend contains brett and typically brett will keep going till there's nothing left at all to go on. Adding priming sugar at this point would possibly work, but it will most likely take many months for carbonation. After 18 months or so, from what I've read in the American Sours book, adding a bit of yeast with the priming sugar can speed things along. add approx 2 grams per 5 gallons. Depending on your acidity, ph, and alcohol level, a wine yeast and or brett would work also. You'll want something that floccs really well.

If you like doing sours and you don't already have it, I highly suggest the book American Sours by Michael Tonsmeire. Even if you're not that into sours, it's still an excellent book.

Thanks. I think the 2 grams of yeast is a good idea. Whether or not I like doing sours will probably depend on how well this one turns out :) but if it goes well I'll definitely check out the book.

Since you already waited 2 years...
Maybe fill a couple pet bottles, add sugar and you should know quite quickly if it carbs....
What's 2 weeks longer on 2 years :) :)

It's not going to be a quick carbonation either way. Not like most are used to anyway. Its also advised to let it bottle condition for a few months even when adding yeast as some byproducts will need to basically referment out/clear up. I've had quite a few sours that aren't carbonated at all and are delicious.

I stand corrected :)
I figured that I can normally "feel" carbonation starting in a couple of days, so giving it 2 weeks sounded long.
I've never made a sour..
Will be interesting to find out what worked in your case

Thanks for the input. Taking all this into consideration and a couple of google searches I boiled two cups of water with one cup of sugar (going for 4.5 CO2 volume) and a teaspoon of yeast nutrient. After it cooled I pitched a half teaspoon of US-05 yeast. I let that sit for 18 hours then added a cup of the sour beer (after reading some things on acid shock). About 3 hours later I added another cup of sour beer and a quarter teaspoon of US-05 for good measure. I'm letting it sit for a couple of hours then I'll put it in the bottling bucket, let that stand for maybe an hour to make sure the yeast is distributed, then bottle. Thoughts?

Sounds plausible enough.

I've listened to some really good sour brewers talk about acid shock. Haven't experienced it myself, though I've only started adding yeast for bottle conditioning for the last few batches. Can't see it hurting though.

I think I avoid it because when I'm topping up a sour keg I do the primary fermentation is a separate fermenter and add the beer to the keg once the fermentation is largely done. And the microbes in the keg are certainly adapted to the lower pH in there.

Thanks for the input. Taking all this into consideration and a couple of google searches I boiled two cups of water with one cup of sugar (going for 4.5 CO2 volume) and a teaspoon of yeast nutrient. After it cooled I pitched a half teaspoon of US-05 yeast. I let that sit for 18 hours then added a cup of the sour beer (after reading some things on acid shock). About 3 hours later I added another cup of sour beer and a quarter teaspoon of US-05 for good measure. I'm letting it sit for a couple of hours then I'll put it in the bottling bucket, let that stand for maybe an hour to make sure the yeast is distributed, then bottle. Thoughts?
My only thought is you're going to the upper end on carbonation. Is that what you want? 4.5 is really high, but if that's what you want. I like my beers carbed on the high end as well, but thought I'd mention it. 4.5 is pretty high.

My only thought is you're going to the upper end on carbonation. Is that what you want? 4.5 is really high, but if that's what you want. I like my beers carbed on the high end as well, but thought I'd mention it. 4.5 is pretty high.
For sure check back in once you start opening bottles. I'm really interested how your beer turns out!

It worked. This at 11 days.
IMG_20210223_192016030.jpg

Back