Split batch ale - Voss and Chico

My wife dislocated her elbow so I'm on full baby, cooking, and cleaning duty.

A likely story! ;)

Actually, that does sound quite painful. I hope she feels better soon:)

Yes, I hope she's not in too much pain and heals quickly!

Okay so I finally got them kegged and tasted. The wife is on the mend, just down to 1.5 arms for a bit.
So the good news is whatever that funk smell was has gone. Either it was incomplete fermentation, or the voss just took control and covered it up.
Both beers ended up at 1.009, bringing them just under 5%, which is about what I was hoping for. I usually shoot for 008 - 010 for my ales, so I'm happy. They're more similar than they are different.
The voss has slightly less taste from the citra, more malty overall. It doesn't have the refreshing citrus taste, instead it has an orangey-flavor from the yeast. But not a fresh tasty orange, more like an orange that has been forgotten about in a dark room for a while. It's pretty subtle, but it gives it more of a beer-from-the-cellar taste. Overall it is much cleaner than anticipated, though I don't think I would call it neutral as other people have. I'll admit I went into this with some bias against kveik.
The chico is what you'd expect. Slightly more citrus-hop flavor, but I may have gotten a bit of an off flavor from pitching the yeast at such a high temp. I wouldn't call it fusel, but there is definitely a bite on the first sip. It tends to mellow out as you drink it though. This is definitely my fault and not a characteristic of the yeast. Maybe something wild got in there? Maybe I got some trub in there when I was siphoning? I'll update after a few more pints.
If I had to guess, both kegs will kick about the same time. They're both tasty and will not last.

Thsnks for the update
And
CHEERS!
Sounds like a job well done

Maybe leave them be in the keg for a few days to let anything that transferred over to settle out.
Just thinking out loud...

@Jazzy_J, Were you in Milwaukee this past weekend? I was behind a silver VW (I think) sedan with the plate "JAZZY J". I told my son "Hey, I might know that guy!". To which my son replied "Why don't you honk and wave at him?". Smart A-- kid. Just like his old man :cool:

I think that Citra will exacerbate the taste from the Voss. I'd choose a hop that isn't citrus to find out the real differences.

Sounds like this isn't enough evaluation and needs a 're brew :)

@Jazzy_J, Were you in Milwaukee this past weekend? I was behind a silver VW (I think) sedan with the plate "JAZZY J". I told my son "Hey, I might know that guy!". To which my son replied "Why don't you honk and wave at him?". Smart A-- kid. Just like his old man :cool:
Unfortunately not, the wife and I are down in Fort Lauderdale, almost as far as possible from Milwaukee! There isn't a whole lot that's too jazzy about our days in real life I'm afraid.

Maybe leave them be in the keg for a few days to let anything that transferred over to settle out.
Just thinking out loud...
They are mostly just hanging out at the moment. We got some sniffles from the ER, so I'm taking a few days off the beer. I'll see if there are any differences next week when I get back into it.

Unfortunately not, the wife and I are down in Fort Lauderdale, almost as far as possible from Milwaukee! There isn't a whole lot that's too jazzy about our days in real life I'm afraid.

Good choice this month!
20.png

It doesn't have the refreshing citrus taste, instead it has an orangey-flavor from the yeast. But not a fresh tasty orange, more like an orange that has been forgotten about in a dark room for a while.

I've read that sort of observation from other brewers about Voss while having a "fruity" quality, different palates take it differently...some folks like it or it lends itself to their recipe in a good way and then there are folks that while they can't put their finger on it and it's not bad but rather, as the saying goes " it just ain't right "! @CausticWolf may be on to something with the Citra being at odds with the Voss.

Thanks for sharing the details and I hope the wife's heals right....Tell her to look on the bright side...she'll know it's gonna rain before you do!:rolleyes:

Back