Powerhouse - Herbed Imperial IPA

bloodysafety

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I went to the brew shop and forgot my recipe so i bought random grains and hops and this is what I came up with. I Chose to use warrior as an aroma hop so it would hopefully blend with the herbs and let them shine. Im a little worried about the pound of oats and pound of barley though might be a little foamy!

Title: Powerhouse
Author: bloodysafety

Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: Imperial IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.093
Efficiency: 35% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.074
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 7.99%
IBU (tinseth): 60.33
SRM (morey): 9.12

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Pilsen (42.9%)
2 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (14.3%)
2 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (14.3%)
2 lb - Brown Sugar (14.3%)
1 lb - Flaked Barley (7.1%)
1 lb - Flaked Oats (7.1%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Warrior, Type: Pellet, AA: 16, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 41.34
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Aroma for 60 min, IBU: 18.09
1 oz - Warrior, Type: Pellet, AA: 16, Use: Aroma for 0.5 min, IBU: 0.9

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temperature, Temp: 130 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 2 gal, Beta rest
2) Infusion, Temp: 145 F, Time: 45 min, Amount: 2 gal, conversion
3) Infusion, Temp: 168 F, Time: 15 min, Amount: 2 gal, conversion
4) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Amount: 4 qt, sparge

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
2 oz - Rose hips, Time: 0 min, Type: Herb, Use: Other
0.5 oz - Lavender, Time: 0 min, Type: Herb, Use: Other
0.5 oz - Chamomile, Time: 0 min, Type: Herb, Use: Other
0.25 oz - Licorice root, Time: 0 min, Type: Herb, Use: Other

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 64 F

Using your Cascade as an aroma hop at 60 minutes isn't going to give you much aroma: The longer you boil, the lower the aroma you get. For aroma, five minutes or less, preferably whirlpool. I'm interested in all those spices: What effect are you after with them?

I haven't used spices in brews before, but I imagine that licorice root is pretty strong eh? Not sure If that will drown out the Chamomile and Rosehip. I have no idea what Rosehip will add to the beer :?:

I hope you post back your tasting results as it is certainly something that I find interesting.

Rose hips add a very nice, if subtle citrusy flavor and a beautiful red color - a color you can't get with malt! Chamomile is fairly subtle, too. Your licorice is going to overpower just about all the other spices so what I'd do is make either a licorice tea or tincture and add to taste just prior to bottling if you want to go with boiling the spices. The biggest problem I see is that the big hop charge and the spices are going to either cancel each other out or result in a kind of muddled "brown" flavor. Try adding them at packaging using tinctures or teas to see if the idea even works: Take out about a quarter-liter of beer and add your tinctures (starting with the licorice) to taste, then scale up. Remember to top up your sample after each taste! It's a bit more work but it takes the guesswork out of it.

a couple of things, 1 wouldn't use Licorice root with any of those other herbs and are you steeping those grains at different temps or step mashing, not sure step mashing is really needed for that recipe, you won't see any difference at all

Nosybear said:
Using your Cascade as an aroma hop at 60 minutes isn't going to give you much aroma: The longer you boil, the lower the aroma you get. For aroma, five minutes or less, preferably whirlpool. I'm interested in all those spices: What effect are you after with them?

tagging it as aroma was an editing error on my part. I ended up changing alot of boil times around to get in my desired IBU range. good catch.

EDIT: If i remember correctly i was originally gonna toss in the 2 oz of warrior but the builder said that would be over 100 ibu. I thought thats was a tad high for what i was trying to do! :D

this is the 5th herbed batch ive done. Im playing around with it mostly. In my limited experience the lavender and echinacea come through the strongest and also blend well with the hops and whatnot. Ive used hibiscus in the past to redden the beer without effecting flavor but this time I used the hips for a more subtle effect. The licorice root is added at flameout with the rest of the herbs; because it is a root, it really needs a longer steeping time at higher temps to really overpower anything. Im sippin on the contents of my hydrometer vial after yesterdays bottling and the lavender is really coming through right now with the rosehip on the back end. Cant taste the licorice right now at all. It all blends well with the hops so far and will likely get better. I've found the beer to undergo several MAJOR flavor changes at different points of the process.

kiwifirst said:
I haven't used spices in brews before, but I imagine that licorice root is pretty strong eh? Not sure If that will drown out the Chamomile and Rosehip. I have no idea what Rosehip will add to the beer :?:

I hope you post back your tasting results as it is certainly something that I find interesting.

.25oz of licorice root is basically a fat pinch I weighed out on the digi. but yes Ive had it get crazy on me in non beer related projects. tell you what though mint is VERY easy to go overboard with. I recently did a brew where I just tossed in handfuls of diffrent herbs, mint being one of them and it took 3 weeks of aging before it didnt taste like toothpaste! I really think the echinacea was the saving grace on that one! :D

Ozarks Mountian Brew said:
a couple of things, 1 wouldn't use Licorice root with any of those other herbs and are you steeping those grains at different temps or step mashing, not sure step mashing is really needed for that recipe, you won't see any difference at all

NOt sure what the difference between mashing and steeping is. I go by what i've read in books and what the mash calc says. I Heat my strike water, add in the grains adjust temps with hot/cold water if i have to. Then I wait a set amount of time before adding more hot water as per the mash calculator to hit the next desired temp range, so on and so forth. Once that is done I set my grain bag in a strainer and sparge it as per mash calculator. After all thats done I take a gravity reading before adding the remaining water to the kettle for the boil I usually put in a third of any extract right before the wort hits boiling the rest of the extract and all of the other sugars at flameout along with the herbs. I let that sit while I drain out the hop bag then I transfer it to a cold water bath where it gets constantly stirred.

Back