Nano system cleaning times

Brewer #347384

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Can anyone speak to the time saved cleaning nano systems like those from Spike, SS or Ruby (with bottom drains, clean out door on the MT, etc) versus the traditional homebrew 1bbl systems that do not have these features? Thanks!

Hello everyone! Can anyone speak to the time saved cleaning nano systems like those from Spike, SS or Ruby (with bottom drains, clean out door on the MT, etc) versus the traditional homebrew 1bbl systems that do not have these features? Thanks!
Wait, traditional 1bbl homebrew system? You must have one big kegerator!

time cleaning big systems are relative to water used, the faster time cleaning uses much more water and cleaning solution, less water means more manual work and more time, so it is faster for an automated system but its all relative ;)

From what I've "watched" on the tube it's mostly CIP I'd imagine it's not a whole lot more time than at our small scale.

When I clean its hot percarbonate solution then hot rinse then on odd occasion hot phosphoric acid rinse.

I think the chemicals the commercial brewers use are different too.

Gravity is your friend. I can't imagine a one-barrel system without drains and ball valves.I have a 15 gallon flat bottomed fermenter without an outlet and it's a total pain in the ass. And I have a 30 gallon boil vessel that, thankfully has a ball valve for draining. Even man-handling that thing to get the last of the stuff out of the bottom and doing a quick scrub is a little exhausting.
For a system any bigger than 10 or 15 gallons, go full drain and CIP capability. :)

I use up to 30 gallons of water to clean my 3 kettle 25 gallon fully automated system, it takes me 30 minutes, the issue is you have to clean every pipe, every hose, every ball valve. instead of taking everything apart I choose to do a fly sparge with cleaner, then again with water to clean the cleaner out, I dump the boil kettle and spray and wipe out by hand, I'm not sure how anyone could clean the bottom of a boil kettle completely using anything automated

Wait, traditional 1bbl homebrew system? You must have one big kegerator!
If you'd like, I could ask the guys at Ruby Street.... Drinking buddies, occasionally, when there's no pandemic.

I use up to 30 gallons of water to clean my 3 kettle 25 gallon fully automated system, it takes me 30 minutes, the issue is you have to clean every pipe, every hose, every ball valve. instead of taking everything apart I choose to do a fly sparge with cleaner, then again with water to clean the cleaner out, I dump the boil kettle and spray and wipe out by hand, I'm not sure how anyone could clean the bottom of a boil kettle completely using anything automated
My element and the boil/break ring are the grubbiest part of my kettle.
I'd imagine breweries use the chill water for cleaning and next mash?
Elements can be removed for a more thorough once over..

My element and the boil/break ring are the grubbiest part of my kettle.
I'd imagine breweries use the chill water for cleaning and next mash?
Elements can be removed for a more thorough once over..
I have removable elements and it does help but its not automated

I have removable elements and it does help but its not automated
I follow harrybrew 69 on the tube.
After brew day he sets a parasetic acid CIP rinse to turn on over night. When he arrives.in brewery in morning kettle looks sparkly clean. Must be good stuff

so the op question was "is it faster", I think you just answered that question ;)

Back