reviewing brews?

On the main Forum page, there is a topic "Recipes for Feedback" where you can post your recipe and get feedback.

Short answer is no. The recipes are users recipes, be they good, or be they, not so good.

Public recipes in the "recipe search" are rated with a number of stars. In the recipe data base, you can click on the star column to sort by most or least stars. You'll get the recipes that are highest rated, for what it's worth. There's no criteria for what's being rated so it's purely subjective. I tend to go by number of times brewed. The ones that have been brewed most tend to be tried and true.

Public recipes in the "recipe search" are rated with a number of stars. In the recipe data base, you can click on the star column to sort by most or least stars. You'll get the recipes that are highest rated, for what it's worth. There's no criteria for what's being rated so it's purely subjective. I tend to go by number of times brewed. The ones that have been brewed most tend to be tried and true.

This.

I don't put too much weight into the brewed counter because, when I find a recipe I like, I copy the recipe before I use it. I do this so I can scale it or change ingredients to what I have on hand or can get from the LHBS. The down side is that the brew counter on the original public recipe does not get incremented.

Same, I often copy and then mess with it to match my setup or available materials.

If you are looking for something specific, there are a lot of is who have tried and true recipes that, most if not all of us are happy to share.

I don't put too much weight into the brewed counter because, when I find a recipe I like, I copy the recipe before I use it. I do this so I can scale it or change ingredients to what I have on hand or can get from the LHBS. The down side is that the brew counter on the original public recipe does not get incremented.
I think the brew count is as useful a guage as any. When a recipe like the "Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone" has 744 brews by hundreds of different brewers, that counts as a tried and true recipe that one could probably feel pretty good about following, either to the letter or as a guidline. If one recipe is brewed zero times but another shows to be brewed even a half dozen times, it's reasonable to give more weight to the one with at least something of a track record.
And, as Ozark mentions, there's a comment section at the bottom of public recipes, too. Those tools along with the rating, even though none are particularly rigorous metrics on their own, can give some information about the viability of the recipe in question.

Problem with the brew count is some of us use snapshots, so the original recipe never gets a brew counted against it. But, as you say, in the absence of something better...

Reactions: J A
I tend to read a number of recipes in order to write a recipe that I think will work. Sort of researching a style .. what base grains are used at what percentage and what other malt are generally used in the style. So for example, if I want to create an oatmeal stout, I may read eight different recipes hand get ideas from each, but never really brew any of them. Can't really rate them because I never made them.

The best thing to do is to use tried and true recipes. David Heath, Gashlug, and Clawhammer on youtube have good recipes to mention a few. There are a number of good resources for tried and true recipes, I have a couple of recipes that I got from my local homebrew shop. One of which that I never changed a thing with.

I think the brew count is as useful a guage as any. When a recipe like the "Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone" has 744 brews by hundreds of different brewers, that counts as a tried and true recipe that one could probably feel pretty good about following, either to the letter or as a guidline. If one recipe is brewed zero times but another shows to be brewed even a half dozen times, it's reasonable to give more weight to the one with at least something of a track record.
And, as Ozark mentions, there's a comment section at the bottom of public recipes, too. Those tools along with the rating, even though none are particularly rigorous metrics on their own, can give some information about the viability of the recipe in question.

Completely agree. I didn't mean to give the impression that I put no weight on the brew count, only that I consider a recipe that has zero to a handful of brew counts on it to be pretty much the same as the author of the recipe could account for all of them. Now if you reach into the hundreds of brews, well that's in another category and I would definitely put a lot of weight into that.

I have started to go back and add comments to recipes I've used as the source for beers I brew regularly

Back