Low Final Gravity

MalW

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have a stout in the fermenter now, that looks like it has finished way lower than expected.
Measured with the hydrometer it started out at 1.088 and looks like it has finished at 1.005, just under 11% ABV
The estimated FG should have been about 1.020.
My question is, would that FG be right or does the alcohol affect the reading?
Other info, the Mash temp was 67 C for an hour, boil was 2 hours, it did end up with 1.75 Kg (3.8 lb of Honey) in with the boil as I didnt have any DME that the recipe wanted.
Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Mal

If you are using a float hydrometer, your reading should be accurate, as long as the sample temperature is close to the calibrated temperature. If you are using a refractometer, the alcohol will skew the reading.

What yeast did you use? 94% attenuation is pretty unlikely for most yeasts, especially in a stout/porter (those dark worts always seem to be a bit less fermentable to me). Of course, your honey addition surely helped with that.

Did you taste it? Did you notice any off flavors?

I consistently achieve lower FG than that defined in the Recipe Builder stats. I think my fermentation fridge gives the constant temperature and other conditions to ensure good yeast activity. The attenuation levels are always greater than the published % for the yeast.

it did end up with 1.75 Kg (3.8 lb of Honey) in with the boil
That will cause a very low FG. That's a lot of sugar, you wouldn't use honey unless you wanted to dry the beer out (taste less sweet). Is this a 5 gallon (21 liter) batch?

If you are using a float hydrometer, your reading should be accurate, as long as the sample temperature is close to the calibrated temperature. If you are using a refractometer, the alcohol will skew the reading.
temperature pretty close to 20 c

What yeast did you use? 94% attenuation is pretty unlikely for most yeasts, especially in a stout/porter (those dark worts always seem to be a bit less fermentable to me). Of course, your honey addition surely helped with that.

Did you taste it? Did you notice any off flavors?
The yeast was Lallemund's Nottingham, the batch was 45 L (~ 11Gal) and I hit that with 4 x 11g rehydrated packets with some nutrient
As for the taste, it tastes OK, i cant say there are any off flavors or smells except for the alcohol very noticeable

Attachments

• NOTTINGHAM_HP Ale.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 80
That will cause a very low FG. That's a lot of sugar, you wouldn't use honey unless you wanted to dry the beer out (taste less sweet). Is this a 5 gallon (21 liter) batch?
Hi HVM,
It was a 45 Liter brew, i didnt know about the Honey drying out the beer but it will come in handy as i have made a few batches that have come out a bit sweeter than i would like

I consistently achieve lower FG than that defined in the Recipe Builder stats. I think my fermentation fridge gives the constant temperature and other conditions to ensure good yeast activity. The attenuation levels are always greater than the published % for the yeast.
Hello AHarper
I have a double door commercial display fridge that i picked up second hand and i run that with a temperature controller, so the temperature is pretty constant, I did this ferment at 18C I forgot to mention in my other replies that I did give it a good 20 second burst of pure Oxygen a couple of hours after i pitched the yeast,
I am using a stainless conical and this is only my second batch using it

Alcohol skews the refractometer reading higher than the actual gravity. Hydrometers are easier for beginners to use.

Hello AHarper
I have a double door commercial display fridge that i picked up second hand and i run that with a temperature controller, so the temperature is pretty constant, I did this ferment at 18C I forgot to mention in my other replies that I did give it a good 20 second burst of pure Oxygen a couple of hours after i pitched the yeast,
I am using a stainless conical and this is only my second batch using it
Alcohol skews the refractometer reading higher than the actual gravity. Hydrometers are easier for beginners to use.
Hi Bubba,
Nope I didnt use a refractomer

Attachments

• 20201124_052001.jpg
    20201124_052001.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 75
here is the actual reading

Attachments

• 20210201_085233.jpg
    20210201_085233.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 79
The use of sugar (honey) will greatly drop the FG. It really doesn't belong in a stout. It will works in Belgian Tripels, Quads and American double IPA's to keep them from becoming cloyingly sweet and still maintain a very high alcohol content.

You used @ 4 pounds of honey in a 11 gallon beer. Honey has @ 35 ppg, so by using that much honey you brought the OG up by 1.013. When this ferments, nearly all the gravity goes toward alcohol and CO2 and will cause the gravity to drop more than .013.

In other words, if you skipped the honey, the OG would have been 1.075 and it would have finished higher than 1.005. It's possible to be over 1.010 for a final gravity without the honey because it nearly all goes to alcohol which has a specific gravity lower than water (1.000). That's why sugar in Belgian beers work so well in getting very low FG's and keeping them very drinkable.

The use of sugar (honey) will greatly drop the FG. It really doesn't belong in a stout. It will works in Belgian Tripels, Quads and American double IPA's to keep them from becoming cloyingly sweet and still maintain a very high alcohol content.

You used @ 4 pounds of honey in a 11 gallon beer. Honey has @ 35 ppg, so by using that much honey you brought the OG up by 1.013. When this ferments, nearly all the gravity goes toward alcohol and CO2 and will cause the gravity to drop more than .013.

In other words, if you skipped the honey, the OG would have been 1.075 and it would have finished higher than 1.005. It's possible to be over 1.010 for a final gravity without the honey because it nearly all goes to alcohol which has a specific gravity lower than water (1.000). That's why sugar in Belgian beers work so well in getting very low FG's and keeping them very drinkable.
Thanks HVM,
Ive got it now, should not have used the Honey,
Just need to decide if i keep it or just tip it and go start again, I dont really have enough room for bad beer

Thanks HVM,
Ive got it now, should not have used the Honey,
Just need to decide if i keep it or just tip it and go start again, I dont really have enough room for bad beer
One must at least taste that which one has brewed. Drinking ones mistakes, makes one a better brewer...

Ha Ha Thanks guys,
I had a look yesterday and could not find any beer styles that have an FG as low 1.005, if it turns out to be tasty I will have to call it table wine

Back