What are you drinking right now?

Good question @Donoroto. This is only my second brew using brewing salts, and I just made additions until the calculator indicated that I was in an acceptable range for a balanced profile, using reverse osmosis water.
I have been in the habit of adding 2-4% acid malt to most brews to get the mash pH in an acceptable range according to the recipe editor.
The baking soda and the acidulated will cancel each other out as far as pH goes.
I have only ever needed baking soda with real dark roasty brews when the pH needed to be raised due to the acidic nature of those grains.
I would suggest that you should never need baking soda except to raise mash pH.

Curious, what temp did you ferment at? The first time I used this yeast I started in the lower 70's and raised to the lower 80's. It was very spicy, kind of a hot alcohol thing. This time I kept the temps between 67-72. The pepper spice is still there, but everything else seems much more subtle allowing the lemon and hops flavors to blend much better.
I fermented at 68F until the last 2 days (once the gravity didn't change), I bumped it up to 70F.

Irish red. The keg keeps giving!
0D4EEF3B-DC51-4003-8465-14D74BCE6876.jpeg

The baking soda and the acidulated will cancel each other out as far as pH goes.
I have only ever needed baking soda with real dark roasty brews when the pH needed to be raised due to the acidic nature of those grains.
I would suggest that you should never need baking soda except to raise mash pH.
I have used the same recipe 4 times now, but this is the first to have salt additions. I started working on the salt additions after I already had the grains, all milled at lhbs. What drove me to add baking soda was seeing in the calculator that I needed bicarbonate ions to bring everything into range for a balanced profile. Maybe the 4.2% of the grain bill that is acidulated malt should be knocked down a bit, like to 2%.
In any case, the beer is good!

I have used the same recipe 4 times now, but this is the first to have salt additions. I started working on the salt additions after I already had the grains, all milled at lhbs. What drove me to add baking soda was seeing in the calculator that I needed bicarbonate ions to bring everything into range for a balanced profile. Maybe the 4.2% of the grain bill that is acidulated malt should be knocked down a bit, like to 2%.
In any case, the beer is good!
I would take the baking soda out, then reduce the acidulated malt until I had the pH I wanted. You can always add back some basemalt to keep your OG where you want it.

Sam Adams Boston lager

Attachments

• D43AAC91-D130-40DA-9C21-F75A136B41AF.jpeg
    D43AAC91-D130-40DA-9C21-F75A136B41AF.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 52

Back