Yeast Pitch for a Lager

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm working up the nerve to do my first lager using Lallemand Diamond Lager yeast (2 packs). I was wondering is there any advantage to pitch 1 pack of the yeast once at the correct temp and then pitch the 2nd pack of yeast after say week one in the primary? Thought of this at 2 am. Do I need therapy?

I'm working up the nerve to do my first lager using Lallemand Diamond Lager yeast (2 packs). I was wondering is there any advantage to pitch 1 pack of the yeast once at the correct temp and then pitch the 2nd pack of yeast after say week one in the primary? Thought of this at 2 am. Do I need therapy?
I too often lay in bed thinking about brewing...
Can't help you with this though, sorry!

If it needs 2 packs they should both be pitched at the same time.

Pitch them at the same time. The yeast will increase in population before they begin active fermentation (aka the respiration or adaptive phase). Using 2 packs gives them a headstart to the ideal number of yeast cells they need to begin working (aka lag time).

Attachments

• 20210126_115803.jpg
    20210126_115803.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 151
I'd go for therapy: Why would you want to pitch yeast into a completely fermented beer fermented with too little yeast? Dump it all in at once at the correct temperature!

I have to remind myself frequently not to believe everything I think....

What every lager asks for:

More yeast, please!

I wouldn't worry about keeping the temperature super low. Most lager yeasts will do a good job at any temperature below 60 degrees. The difference in lag time between a 52 degree pitch and a 60 degree pitch is significant. Get it going relatively quickly and keep it at a steady temp and it'll be great. Even though diacetyl at 60 degrees will probably be minimal, I always raise to 68 to finish out the last 4 or 5 points of gravity. Takes care of any lingering diacetyl and makes for good attenuation.
You're going to make a nice beer. Don't get stressed about it. Lagers aren't so bad. Keep the ingredients super simple, the mash temp low, the equipment clean and the fermentation temperature low and steady.
Brew on!!! :D

Well, I am living proof that it is better to be lucky than smart. I used Safelager S-189 in last evenings brew, Wednesday Addams Bitter. I had two packets for a 5.5 gallon batch. I used a starter on a stir plate for the first packet pitched at 62F and promptly forgot the second packet. I was thinking about the batch this morning (yes, I suppose that I am a whack-job as well) and remembered that I left the second pack on the counter. I opened up the fermenter and sprinkled it in. No activity yet, but it has only been eight hours. Fermenting at 50F.

Well, I am living proof that it is better to be lucky than smart. I used Safelager S-189 in last evenings brew, Wednesday Addams Bitter. I had two packets for a 5.5 gallon batch. I used a starter on a stir plate for the first packet pitched at 62F and promptly forgot the second packet. I was thinking about the batch this morning (yes, I suppose that I am a whack-job as well) and remembered that I left the second pack on the counter. I opened up the fermenter and sprinkled it in. No activity yet, but it has only been eight hours. Fermenting at 50F.
Looks like you adopted my idea by accident

Looks like you adopted my idea by accident
Frank, it looks like the idea of using one hydrated and one dry pack of Saflager worked. I was getting nervous about the lack of bubbles and opened up the brewbucket...lots of krausen. The blowoff fitting was loose. I snugged it up and bubbles magically appeared.

Back