Keg Conditioning

nephtwim@icloud.com

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm conditioning in a 5-gallon Cornelius keg. Should I periodically release built-up CO2 via the pressure relief valve, or is it okay to just leave the CO2 in there?

I used a corny to ferment in then pushed to a second corny and let it sit in there for a month before I carbed it up turned out to be my best brew so far.I did release the pressure a few times but did not go out of my way.

Nephtwim said:
I'm conditioning in a 5-gallon Cornelius keg. Should I periodically release built-up CO2 via the pressure relief valve, or is it okay to just leave the CO2 in there?

I assume you have finished fermentation, and have kegged the beer for cold conditioning? If that's the case, purge the air out of the head space after the initial transfer, and then leave the pressure on.

GernBlanston said:
Nephtwim said:

I assume you have finished fermentation, and have kegged the beer for cold conditioning? If that's the case, purge the air out of the head space after the initial transfer, and then leave the pressure on.

Not cold conditioning. Should I be? I'm conditioning in keg in lieu of bottle conditioning.

So you have primed the beer in the keg, and left warm with the intentions of carbonating in the keg? In that case It is just a big bottle, and treat it as such. Do you let pressure out of a bottle? The pressure need to be there to force the CO2 into solution. Assuming you have primed with the proper amount, leave it for a couple of weeks then get it cold. You could vent it once prior to attaching the gas line in case the pressure is greater than the line and you could force some beer up the gas line. Other than that, CO2 is CO2.

GernBlanston said:
So you have primed the beer in the keg, and left warm with the intentions of carbonating in the keg? In that case It is just a big bottle, and treat it as such. Do you let pressure out of a bottle? The pressure need to be there to force the CO2 into solution. Assuming you have primed with the proper amount, leave it or a couple of weeks then get it cold. You could vent it once prior to attaching the gas line in case the pressure is greater than the lin and you could force some beer up the gas line. Other than that, CO2 is CO2.

Understood. Thank you very much, GernBlanston. Much appreciated.

I condition in cornelius kegs as well. No need for priming sugar because I have a bottle of CO2, and I transfer to the keg before fermentation is complete, i.e. "secondary". I purge the head space with CO2 right after transfer, and depending on how long I want it to sit, I will connect the CO2 tank for the last two weeks. If you can get the keg cold, this will definitely reduce time required to carbonate. If you are lagering you need to do this anyway. I usually vent once or twice, but its probably not necessary.

I have found that venting to much can really scrub out much of the aromas.

surfmase said:
I condition in cornelius kegs as well. No need for priming sugar because I have a bottle of CO2, and I transfer to the keg before fermentation is complete, i.e. "secondary". I purge the head space with CO2 right after transfer, and depending on how long I want it to sit, I will connect the CO2 tank for the last two weeks. If you can get the keg cold, this will definitely reduce time required to carbonate. If you are lagering you need to do this anyway. I usually vent once or twice, but its probably not necessary.

I have found that venting to much can really scrub out much of the aromas.

Thanks, surfmase. That's great information and makes perfect sense. Much appreciated.

Back