What are you drinking right now?

Irish red. Keg is getting lighter
4874BEC8-0B2F-41C4-9B43-B8FC25FEF2CF.jpeg

Vanilla American Stout

A bit shameful because I know I posted a pic of this before, but I can’t help putting up another before she kicks. It really is one of the best beers I ever made...sometimes $h!+ just comes together I suppose. That foam tastes like vanilla fudge ice cream.

View attachment 13845
Looks so tasty.
So you add vanilla at kegging?

I’m thinking that may be a nice addition to the stout I normally make.

Vanilla American Stout

A bit shameful because I know I posted a pic of this before, but I can’t help putting up another before she kicks. It really is one of the best beers I ever made...sometimes $h!+ just comes together I suppose. That foam tastes like vanilla fudge ice cream.

View attachment 13845
Looks great, and I love your description.

:) This one fits perfectly in the kitchen fridge. I think I’m buying another small one in the next few weeks I like brewing too often to get bigger keg. I figured this way I’ll be able to have. Options as long until spring. This summer we are working the garage and I’ll have a fridge in there.

Thanks @Herm_brews I was also going to ask for it. It looks great, but why do you use baking soda and acidulated malt together? Don't they cancel each other out (at least for pH)? Or am I missing something?
Good question @Donoroto. This is only my second brew using brewing salts, and I just made additions until the calculator indicated that I was in an acceptable range for a balanced profile, using reverse osmosis water.
I have been in the habit of adding 2-4% acid malt to most brews to get the mash pH in an acceptable range according to the recipe editor.

Lemon Mash Saison

I’m getting lemon citrus from the lemons in the mash, a subtle but unmistakable Saison bite from the yeast and a bit of white wine from the Nelson Sauvin hops. Actually, the hops could have contributed to all 3! Very dry and at 7%, a bit sneaky. Have to say that I like this effort from the Belle Saison fermented cooler around 70 than when I made this last summer and ran it up to 80.

View attachment 13835
I just tapped a Saison using the Lallemend Belle Saison yeast. I like the results it provides. I used Lemondrop hops for bittering and one dry hop addition of Summit.

Last edited:
I just tapped a Saison using the Lallemend Belle Saison yeast. I like the results it provides. I used Lemondrop hops for bittering and one drop hop addition.
Curious, what temp did you ferment at? The first time I used this yeast I started in the lower 70's and raised to the lower 80's. It was very spicy, kind of a hot alcohol thing. This time I kept the temps between 67-72. The pepper spice is still there, but everything else seems much more subtle allowing the lemon and hops flavors to blend much better.

an acceptable range for a balanced profile, using reverse osmosis water.
Ah, so more for bicarbonate and maybe sodium than for pH. The amounts are small and so "it won't matter". No matter, this will be on the schedule real soon because it looks delicious.

Back