Milled grain shelf life

Disclaimer: I'm nobodies idea of an expert!

I had exactly this question to answer and came to the conclusion that it's a dry product, I'm going to boil it so it was never going to poison me, and used the grain. I take very little notice of use by dates on grain now. If it tastes ok it goes in the pot.

Just thinking:
If it is just the throwing out of the grains that worry you (I am the same. Hate waste) then why not try using them in baking bread?
Never made bread before but maybe. What kind of bread would you get from Carafa and chocolate malt though? I've also been looking into ideas for my spent grains. Any good recipes?

You could use the Carafa and Chocolate as colorants in Pumpernickel.... Don't worry about those keeping, keep them dry and they'll last forever. They're mostly cinders anyway....

I ha
Never made bread before but maybe. What kind of bread would you get from Carafa and chocolate malt though? I've also been looking into ideas for my spent grains. Any good recipes?
Ve absolutely no idea ;)
Might be a hit. Maybe not.

If they were base grains I would toss them out. But for what you have I would use them. Your base grain will give you the enzymes you need to convert the starch to sugar. They were sealed so you should be ok. If in doubt, taste it. Chew on some and see if it tastes stale.

Yeah but it's usually whole. My thinking is once it's milled oxygen can more readily get at it

Fwiw I just finished brewing up a batch using 10 lbs of milled grain I bought back in 2018 ( Friendly local Hombrew Shop Resilience Kit) and a couple of pounds of grains from some random Brooklyn Brew Shop 1 gal kits circa 2016(?), all were in sealed plastic bags, and kept in a room temp pantry; Hopped it with some frozen Amarillo Hops from when the AHA did their renewal giveaway (2018, iirc). I used some White Labs Sigmund Kviek Yeast (best buy 08/2020). It's turning into a decent tasting beer.

After typing that out I realize I have a major problem with procrastination.

A nice experiment at any rate. People stress far to hard about the shelf life of this stuff in my opinion.

A new maltster gave our club a big discount so I bought a sack of everything. This should last me quite some time.
upload_2021-1-23_19-28-48.png

Back