Q1 2021 Community Recipe by HighVoltageMan!

True that yeah I refrained from finnings this brew something about whirlpooling and finning not mixing so so will see how cloudy things be.

I looked at the sample I had set aside this morning, ordered some isinglass. Never fined post boil before, going to give it a try. Thinking I'll keg it and fine the keg(saw that on "The Beer Hunter: Real Ale?). After that, the top draw can do it's thing once it's carbed.

I looked at the sample I had set aside this morning, ordered some isinglass. Never fined post boil before, going to give it a try. Thinking I'll keg it and fine the keg(saw that on "The Beer Hunter: Real Ale?). After that, the top draw can do it's thing once it's carbed.
I use gelatin, just regular Knox from the local grocery store. It works really well and in 24 hours it's clear. Then I use the top draw to get a super clear beer.

I use gelatin, just regular Knox from the local grocery store. It works really well and in 24 hours it's clear. Then I use the top draw to get a super clear beer.
Mine's in the keg already, and actually cloudier than my hefeweitzen. Can I add gelatin into the keg and have it do anything?

Hmm, maybe jello instead

Mine's in the keg already, and actually cloudier than my hefeweitzen. Can I add gelatin into the keg and have it do anything?

Hmm, maybe jello instead
Definitely. There's always room for jello.

Can I add upon racking? Not made yet or used gelatin.

Hmm, maybe jello instead
You can add it straight to the keg. It's better if there is a top draw, but the standard pickup tube will work too, just remember the first couple of draws from the keg will be nasty.

Boil 1 cup of water for a minute or so to sanitize, remove from heat. Add about 1/2 to 1 pack of Knox gelatin or equivalent, in your case it won't hurt to use the whole pack if it's that turbid. Stir until dissolved and dump it right in the top of the keg, followed by a gentle stir with a long handled spoon. Close up the keg and purge the head space by adding CO2 and pulling the overpressure valve to let the CO2 out. Once you purge it good, 5-10 times, bring the keg up to pressure. In 24-48 hours the beer will clear as much as it going to. Sometimes it will clear more in a week, but most of the work is done in 24 hours.

Make sure the beer is as cold as you can get it. If the beer is too warm, the gelatin doesn't work as well. The other thing to watch out for is a hop volcano:

This happens when the beer is carbonated, but not quite cold enough and the hop residue is still in suspension. Plus the carbonation hasn't equalize between the liquid and the head space. Unfortunately it happened to me a couple of months back. I had a fully carbed keg and I was impatient. I opened the keg less than 24 hours after crashing and everything was fine until tried to pour the hot gelatin mix in and then the keg just starting spewing it contents all over my keezer. I lost over a gallon of beer. If I would have waited 36-48 hours it would have been fine because 90% or more of the hops would have dropped out of the beer. Live and learn..

Hop volcano is scary-looking.

It's been kegged & carbonated since Friday. I have it at 38 F, will drop it to 33 and let it sit depressurized for a day too.
Turbid doesn't even begin to express it. I dry-hopped in a bag, and I theorize all the fine hop dust that leaks out of the bag ended up in the beer.

I'll report my results soon.

Next time it gets a whirlfloc. And, based on what I am tasting, there will be a next time for certain. Right now, it still has a bit of hop bite, it needs to hang out in the keg for a little while.

Think a teaspoon in 5 gallons is enough?
I use a heaping teaspoon, but sometimes I throw the whole package in out of laziness. It seems to work faster at higher dosages, but I might be bull$1ting myself.

A recent brulosophy test used a whole pack and it was more effective than a tsp, so I would not worry about throwing a bit more in it.

I have a big tub of it so I just pour it out onto a spoon.

Transferring Wayner-s Pale now added gelatin to keg
20210126_095550.jpg

Fingers crossed not too much hop material gets stuck in poppet

Moved Wayner's Pale Ale to the fermenting fridge to cold crash it. Will lea e it there until... Thursday, I would like to Keg it and enjoy it by Sunday.

My Waynes Brew is cold crashing in Fridge - currently at 3.3C - and will bet bottled Thursday. A sample tasted very good indeed. Again Tilt seems 4 points too low but is it Muha hahaha....

upload_2021-1-26_11-53-30.png

I use a heaping teaspoon, but sometimes I throw the whole package in out of laziness. It seems to work faster at higher dosages, but I might be bull$1ting myself.
Heh. Turns out one envelope is about a teaspoon, maybe two. Depressurized the keg overnight, pitched the gelatine in there - it started to foam up a bit so I quickly slapped the cover back in - and it's purged, pressurized and re-carbonating now. Tomorrow, we'll grab a quart off the bottom and hope the rest is clear. Ish.

I dry hopped my Wayner's after three days per the recipe. How long do I leave this hops in the fermenter?

I'm a bit worried about Wayner's Pale Ale, S-04 shouldn't finish at 1.006, sample smelled and tasted good, but was a little boozy. I guess I will know better when I keg it later this week.

I'm a bit worried about Wayner's Pale Ale, S-04 shouldn't finish at 1.006, sample smelled and tasted good, but was a little boozy. I guess I will know better when I keg it later this week.

Mine Seems to be flatlining out at around 1.014. Gave it a shake and bumped it up a couple degrees....

Yep at the mash temps used it should be finishing with plenty of body.
Unless this hop creep thing bumps the fermentation into that much action

Back