Missed Original Gravity

Since my grain for the next three batches are already milled, maybe I should drop the BIAB method for them and use a traditional sparge without the bag?

Or, if I stick with BIAB isn't it quite similar to sparge hot water over the bag after pulling it out at the end of the mash? How would it be different without the bag?
You can always re-mill it. I run my grains through twice. Since it looks like you do smaller batches you could probably use a blender, food processor or coffee grinder. It's very hard to go too fine for BIAB. Long term I still recommend getting a mill. I feel like it's already been worth the investment for me. Keep in mind too that malt typically keep a lot longer when it's not milled so you can buy it in larger quantities and save more money.

That’s tough to answer, not knowing your setup. I’ve never brewed any other way but BIAB so I can’t really answer the first question, but I suppose that would be a reasonable solution.

As far as sparging/rinsing the brew bag after mash, in my experience I don’t think that will help your efficiency much, as opposed to just full volume mashing from the start. What I have found is that a thinner mash leads to better efficiency/extraction (whatever the proper term is). So in my kettle, if I mash thick and sparge I *might* only end up where I would have if I had just mashed in full volume to begin with. Maybe less. That’s a bit confusing for sure, and maybe that only applies to my crush/pot/set up. With the crush you are working with, for BIAB, I would probably get better extraction if I mashed with a larger volume of water, didn’t sparge, and just boiled longer. Again, that’s only one brewer’s opinion.

But really, I would try and find a way to crush your grains finer. Run them through a pulse on a blender if you have to. It’s very difficult to crush too fine for BIAB.

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

I'd use the bag even if you decide to sparge, just makes cleanup and handling way easier.

Maybe walk us through your process before we make wild assumptions? I noticed you had no equipment profile in your recipe either so that will throw things off.

Back