Fermentation stopped. How do I restart it?

nephtwim@icloud.com

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello. I have a American Pale Ale batch in a 6-gallon carboy that I brewed BIAB style. It was my first time brewing this way, so ended up with only 4 gallons instead of my target 5 gallons. It has been in primary fermentation for one week today and I noticed that fermentation has come to a halt (at least visually, no bubbles coming up the air lock, kreusen foam settled down). Can I go ahead and package the beer, or do I need to leave it in fermentation longer? If longer, then do I need to reactivate the yeast?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Are you taking gravity readings? If so what are they and what are the dates you took them?

Welcome to brewing!

Thanks, and thank you for your reply! I'm not taking gravity readings. I intended to, but dropped and broke my hydrometer on brewing day.

In that case, give it a bit longer - you don't want bottle bombs. The only way you can be absolutely sure fermentation is over is through gravity readings, which you don't have, so give it time instead. It certainly won't hurt the beer!

if for some reason nothing works just add some sugar and lightly shake or stir, it will start back assuming the yeast hasn't fallen down and gone dormant

Ozarks Mountian Brew said:
if for some reason nothing works just add some sugar and lightly shake or stir, it will start back assuming the yeast hasn't fallen down and gone dormant

And if the yeast has fallen and gone dormant?

its possible they don't have any more oxygen, but your running a risk by adding any, before doing that add your sugar then take a spoon or anything that can scrape the bottom and just slightly loosen the yeast bed and mix very slow, and stir again slow in about 10 minutes...then wait. at this point you will cloud up your beer hence the word slow.... :D

Back