And now we know...the magic number is 261

in my example...Euro / °Plato / L
Technically, according to the actual tax law (https://www.zoll.de/DE/Fachthemen/S...kwaren-Kaffee/Steuerhoehe/Bier/bier_node.html), it is Euro / °Plato / HL (hektoliter) ....according to annual production.
So, if annual production (of the brewery) is > 200,000 HL, and the beer being taxed is 12° Plato, the calculation would be 0.787 Euro * 12 * HL
(in other words, 1million litres of 12° Plato beer = 0.787 * 12 * 10,000 = 94,400€ = 0.0944€/L beer
That’s not too bad. That’s not much different from the US rate. So its about 9.5 euros or 12 bucks per hectoliter.

I am a cheap-skate when it comes to equipment and process, so I still end up paying well less in equipment and ingredients / L (<1€) than for the nothing-special-but-very-drinkable local lawnmower beer which I always have "on tap"...
Echt Schwabish, ne?

Two problems, though: 1) Realistically a couple hundred hours goes into that beer, so that's uncompensated,

I would argue that if you have to include labor costs into the price of homebrew, then it's no longer a hobby. Actually since I really enjoy brewing beer, if I had to put a price on the hours spent brewing it would be a negative number! So the return on investment would be even shorter. :)

01001001 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 00100000 01100010 01100101 01100101 01110010 00100001 00001010

My browser insitsed this was a telephone number and wanted me to call it.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
That's funny

So, I did that, copied the binary listing into a binary to text translator. It's not a phone number. It translates to: I love beer!
Thank God that our computers read & understand binary so that we don't have to.

Funny though, we don't factor the cost of our kitchen square footage, utilities, appliances, tools, personal labor etc. into our cooking costs when deciding whether we cook our order in:rolleyes:
That's true, but I can buy $10 worth of groceries and spend an hour whipping up a meal that will feed 4 people. If it took 8 hours and up to $20 in ingredients to cook a meal that would cost us $50 in a restaurant, that would be more analogous. :)
We'll always find a way to justify the outlay. :D

My browser insitsed this was a telephone number and wanted me to call it.

There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Years ago I saw that on a t-shirt on ThinkGeek.com. I should have bought then it because they shut down in 2019 :(.

I have that shirt and this one:

c49c583a-5552-4429-9b09-71961e3b9ced.jpg

Years ago I saw that on a t-shirt on ThinkGeek.com. I should have bought then it because they shut down in 2019 :(.
Check any of the t-shirt websites out there (redbubble, etc.). They'll have tens of versions of that one (decimal not binary, in this case).

Or you could get this design for when you brew the community recipe this quarter.

raf,750x1000,075,t,101010:01c5ca27c6.jpg

I liken this to fishing, I love to fish, but even at todays ridiculous seafood prices, I've probably spent 20 times as much, just on gear and bait, than the amount of fish we've put on the table. I'd hate to consider how much fuel, wear & tear on vehicles and other incidentals would add to the total cost.

As Brad Paisley sang. "And I love her, but I love to fish -------------" :):):)

I would argue that if you have to include labor costs into the price of homebrew, then it's no longer a hobby. Actually since I really enjoy brewing beer, if I had to put a price on the hours spent brewing it would be a negative number! So the return on investment would be even shorter. :)

Sweat Equity never tasted so good!

I liken this to fishing, I love to fish, but even at todays ridiculous seafood prices, I've probably spent 20 times as much, just on gear and bait, than the amount of fish we've put on the table. I'd hate to consider how much fuel, wear & tear on vehicles and other incidentals would add to the total cost.

As Brad Paisley sang. "And I love her, but I love to fish -------------" :):):)
Yes, that...Same with hunting - meat costs more than I can buy it for and I don't fool myself into thinking that there's any real savings in it. In fact, gardening falls into the same category unless you have a huge plot and spend the time it takes to maximize your harvest. Those fresh, vine-ripened heirloom tomatoes that we enjoy from our little raised-bed patch in the back yard would be cheaper if we went to the local farmers market and paid $5 a pound for them. :D

Back