Can I add gypsum & Calcium Chloride to cold water?

MLav

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am new to brewing. I am using a Robobrew 32 Quart. I was going to add the chemicals to the total water volume. Strike water and sparge water then pump the water minus the strike water into another vessel to heat up for the sparge water. Will the chemicals stay in solution in cold water or should I add them differently.

It might take a while to dissolve into the water but it should work.

I generally do. It will be cloudy at first - gypsum is not very soluble - but keep stirring until it clears up.

I have the same setup and I usually wait until the Brewzilla gets to 125 F or so before I dump in the salts. In any case they will dissolve eventually. A little stir can't hurt either.

Brewzilla here as well, I add about half my water, start the pump, add the salts, then add the 4est of the water. I do this with cold water the night before.

I also add my salts to cold water as I collect it the night before like Craigerr and Thunderwagn do. Never had an issue with dissolving them and in the winter my tap water comes out at 4°c.

Conversely I use a Coleman cooler and put them in just before I pour in the hot water. So whatever floats your goat.

Back