Is there a water profile for RO water.

MLav

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am going to use RO water from a grocery store and am just wondering if I input anything on the water profile.

Just use all zeroes. It's not exact - RO filters typically leave some ions behind - but it's close enough.

Brewfather has the following for RO water, so ya, basically zeros.

upload_2021-1-20_15-57-49.png

Yeah that's about what I have, it's next to impossible to be absolutely certain so just selecting zeros is a viable alternative.

Brewfather has the following for RO water, so ya, basically zeros.

View attachment 13798
What you wind up with depends on where you start. I see from my TDS meter that ions are reduced about 90% - I measure tap water at 135 ppm and RO water at 12. It varies: In Winter, I get 6 ppm from my RO filter. I suppose I could have my water tested but when the sum of all of them is 12 (and there are 6 to begin with), I get more variance measuring the salts than from the water itself.

Just be sure of what you're buying, most stores here have at least two different waters. Distilled and Spring. The distilled will be your RO or all zeroes.
The spring water tend to be a municipal source filtered but not zeros. FYI

I am going to use RO water from a grocery store and am just wondering if I input anything on the water profile.

I've gotten RO out of the same dispensing machine that varied from <10 ppm up to ~30 ppm TDS. so there's really no set standard. Been using the default mineral content for RO found on Bru'n Water, which comes out to ~30 ppm TDS with good results.

An RO filter removes about 90% of all ions so there is always something left. In my water supply, I run between 6 and 13 ppm total dissolved solids so I can essentially treat it as zero. In reality there are some ions there but the amount is less than I can measure with the equipment I have (a scale that measures in 10ths of a gram), so I treat them as absent. There's not enough of anything to make a significant difference in any water profile except maybe Pilsen.

Yup. For what we're doing there isn't much we can do to get that level of accuracy.

Alguien a tratado de adaptar las recetas al agua y considerar esta como terroar. (como en el vino)?

Alguien a tratado de adaptar las recetas al agua y considerar esta como terroar. (como en el vino)?
Translated in English
Has anyone tried to adapt the recipes to the water and consider this as terroar. (as in wine)?

It is making a recipe your own, based on the water you have available. @Zambezi Special does this, pulling water directly from the river in the back (or is it front) yard.
I drink my municipal tap water, Brita filtering most of it. I don’t brew with my tap water now, instead using RO water from multiple local sources for a couple dollars per fill. I should try to develop my terroir. Brew local.

Sorry it was a question to which I knew or imagined the answer. It's not the time to ask that question yet. But copy to be accepted when it could be better.....

Imagine a grape varietal (type of beer) depending on where it comes from gives notes of aromas or colors or astringencies but it is the same varietal and is currently accepted. US Europe South Africa Australia All highlight the varietal however tuenen particular notes of aroma or others. None import or copy the soil (water). It was just an idea.

The trick is knowing what is in your water. Then work with that water to make the best beer that you can. I use reverse osmosis water (RO) that I get from one of several dispensers around town, depending on which dispenser has been most recently serviced. I use the water calculator on this site, which offers up several templates that can be approached assuming your RO water has zero mineral content. If you have not already done so, check out the water calculator on this site under the TOOLS tab at the top of the page.

I prefer not to touch my water and take advantage of the river's meltwater supply. Only filter with activated carbon, I control Ph and if I need more foam I increase Carapilis and adjust the amounts of the malt.

Saludos

Honestly it's better to have a reasonable handle on what your water has in it than it is to change it in any specific way. Cause that lets you control it.

Water does impart a terrior. Think of munich, burton-on-trent, pilsen: all have very different water, leading to very different beers.

Today we understand the chemistry involved, and can adjust our water to imitate a city's water. Or just brew a classic style, but with our own water, and taste what happens.

I do both.

I prefer not to touch my water and take advantage of the river's meltwater supply. Only filter with activated carbon, I control Ph and if I need more foam I increase Carapilis and adjust the amounts of the malt.

Saludos

The fact that you can take water directly from the source is great and really makes terroir a part of every beer you brew.

El hecho de que puedas tomar agua directamente de la fuente es genial y realmente hace que el terruño sea parte de cada cerveza que elaboras.

Back