Is this brew schedule possible?

brentconn

Trial Member
Reaction score
I wanted to make an AG Kolsch but I was not able to get to the fermentation temp of 56–64°F. I bought a nice 15 CF chest freezer and put a temp controller on it. Here is my dilemma. I have ordered three kits to lager.

KÖLSCH(NB): Optimum temperature: 56–64°F

CZECH PILSNER(NB): Optimum temperature: 48–58°F

PRE-PROHIBITION LAGER(NB): Optimum temperature: 48–56°F

I know I can do the CP and the PPL on the same day since they have the same ranges. I want to wedge the Kolsch in there too but the range is too high to sit with the others.Is it possible to ferment all 3 at 56°F without sacrificing quality? I want these beers to be done right. My house is @ 70°F so that won't work. If anyone can figure this out, I would love to hear it. Any and all ideas are very much welcome.

Brent

I wouldn't do it. You'd be sacrificing quality of both sets of brews. The optimum temperature for the two lagers is about 50 degrees. That would put the Kolsch under its range but one of the characteristics of a Kolsch is its esters - a real Kolsch from Cologne has some fruit flavors in it. One possibility is to brew the Kolsch on the day you start the lagers' diacetyl rest but you would end up with a very long D-rest for the lagers, about the week it would take to ferment the Kolsch. So here's how I'd plan it out if I were stuck doing what you want to do:

1. Brew the lagers on the same day. Ferment until nearly complete and allow to warm to 60 degrees for the diacetyl rest.
2. Brew the Kolsch and ferment at 60 degrees until done.
3. Rack all three and reduce to lager temperatures.

The Kolsch will be finished first, in fact, as soon as it's bright it's done. I don't know what the extended d-rest will do to the lagers but it shouldn't do anything, since the yeast are finished.

Another option would be to do the kolsch first it it's correct temps and let it do it's diacetyl rest at your house temps. Then your freezer would be open for the lagers.

I think I will brew the CP and PPL, ferment at 48 for 7 days. Then brew the Kolsch and raise the temp to 56 for 7 days. Then cold crash the CP and PPL at 40 while pulling out the Kolsch from the cooler and let it sit in the pantry until it reaches a temp of 64. Then place the Kolsch in the cooler with the others. Any thoughts on this?

Looks like you'd be fermenting the Koelsch on the cold side - lower esters, more "lager-like". That's not what they drink in Cologne. The schedule should work, though.

Just out of curiosity, why do three different batches at the same time? Why cant you spread it out over three-four weeks.

Personally, I would rather brew one batch a week, or maybe stretch it to one every two weeks. That way the pipeline has a steady progression. If you need more beer, make double batches.

Are you in a pinch for beer, or just ambitious?

The only place I can control temps is in my freezer. If I do the 2 lagers I would have to wait 6 weeks to brew another batch becasue one lager has an extended cold crash. You know what? I think I will just do the Kolsch and forget about the rest for now. LOL

You must not be very thirsty! :mrgreen:
Brian

Back