Dip Hopping

4Bentley

Trial Member
Reaction score
I read an article about dip hopping and am wondering if others have tried this. My understand is you add hops at about 150 degrees after the boil, let it sit for awhile, and leave the hops in during cool down and fermentation. I presume this is in lieu of whirlpooling, but what about dry hopping.

If anyone has done this let me know your experiences.

It sounds like it's a whirlpool addition, but you leave the hops in the fermenter. The only thing I would worry about is a vegetal component from letting the hops set for too long in the beer. I whirlpool and I wonder sometimes if it really needs dry hopping, but I do it anyway. What the hell.

It's a hop-stand, fermentation hopping for bio-transformation and dry-hopping all in one.

It sounds like it's a whirlpool addition, but you leave the hops in the fermenter. The only thing I would worry about is a vegetal component from letting the hops set for too long in the beer. I whirlpool and I wonder sometimes if it really needs dry hopping, but I do it anyway. What the hell.
Have you tried it? What was your results?

I've done something similar at one time or another but there's no reason to aim specifically for a single hop addition. Certain hops develop great flavors from bio-transformation when used during fermentation so it's a good thing to research. I just do a big whirlpool addition usually and dry-hop with an appropriate hop and schedule as needed.
One problem that you'll run into is dealing with a lot of hop residue. I'd just keep the additions separate. Or use some bittering and flavor additions, skip the whirlpool, transfer wort without hops, add bio-transformation hops and see how you like it. Style and recipe will dictate whether you want a batch of dry-hops as well but you can experiment.

Have you tried it? What was your results?
I'm not comfortable leaving that many hops in the fermenter. I may be wrong, but I guess I've never tried it. I do whirlpools, but I leave 90% of the hops in the boil kettle.

I think it's worth a try. Who knows, it could be a whole new thing.

Well I finished the batch and thought I would report. I cooled the wort to 150 deg and then added the hops for one hour. The original article said 2 hrs, but I couldn't bring myself to do that. I then cooled to fermentation temperature and dumped everything in the fermenter and left till cold crash and bottling.
The first thing I noticed was the hops floated to the top and caused no krausen. This made for a more hazy IPA. Good thing haze is in. The overall hop flavor was more blended. I usually get a more pronounced citrus flavor, but this time it was diminished.
Anyway, it was a good experiment, but I probably won't do it again. I thought it would be totally bad with the hops there so long, but it wasn't. It just wasn't in the direction I was looking for.

Back