1896 pale ale recipe

Jsm

Trial Member
Reaction score
A friend asked me to research recipes from Roses Brewery in Malton, North Yorkshire.
I have come across the attached but need some help reading the ingredients. I can decipher some but not all
Any handwriting experts out there

Attachments

• FFA2DFD5-35B7-4964-8431-EFD75E79A45B.jpeg
    FFA2DFD5-35B7-4964-8431-EFD75E79A45B.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 88
That's pretty cool. I can't read it either, not even sure what unit of measure is used.

I saw Hallertau and that was about it.

So the column on the left reading from top to bottom
English pale
Unknown
Unknown
Flaked Rice

Unknown No 1
White

Unknown
Halletau
Styrian? Unknown

Weights are in old imperial units cwt (Hundredweight)

can work out requirements by ratio

I think that would be invert number 1?

"Unknown No 1" is probably Invert sugar #1, a syrup something like Lyle's golden syrup.

I would recommend you to read this blog which is full of translated old recipes

I would guess that this would be the #1 yorkshire square, they would have fermented in.
Samuel Smith's still does.

upload_2021-1-18_15-1-7.png

upload_2021-1-18_15-5-41.png

Thanks
Yes it would have been fermented in a “Yorkshire Square”
Roses Brewery in Malton was taken over by Tetleys who continued to ferment in these vessels

6 1/2 bushels(?) English Pale
1/2 " Ordinary (?)
2.5 For-n (Foreign?
2/3 Flaked rice
10 1.6

2 cwt (200+ lbs) Invert no 1
1 " (100+ lbs) white

At 60 lbs per bushel, that's a grain bill for about 20 bbl of 1.044-ish beer - in the range of a Best Bitter. But that's a high percentage of sugar. The"specialty" malt would determine the color and flavor. I suspect that the Foreign, if that what it is would be Munich and the Ordinary would be some basic UK crystal malt. Interesting to use a small percentage of flaked rice and such a high percentage of sugar.

6 1/2 bushels(?) English Pale
1/2 " Ordinary (?)
2.5 For-n (Foreign?
2/3 Flaked rice
10 1.6

2 cwt (200+ lbs) Invert no 1
1 " (100+ lbs) white

At 60 lbs per bushel, that's a grain bill for about 20 bbl of 1.044-ish beer - in the range of a Best Bitter. But that's a high percentage of sugar. The"specialty" malt would determine the color and flavor. I suspect that the Foreign, if that what it is would be Munich and the Ordinary would be some basic UK crystal malt. Interesting to use a small percentage of flaked rice and such a high percentage of sugar.

That makes perfect sense thanks
Around this time sugar was used for economic reasons I believe

Back