CaraPils and 2Row

JJSG Beer

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a recipe for beer using Carpils and 2Row; about equal parts.

Under the search tool you can enter fermentables into the search. You can also enter your ingredients on the MyInventory screen and then click recipe suggestions. That's a good starting point. Find a couple you might like and if you have any questions bring them back here

Carapils is a dextrine malt not a base malt, so you really wouldn't want to brew a beer with equal parts Carapils and 2 row. I believe Briess recommends using it at about 5% of the grain bill. A simple recipe could be 95% 2row, 5% Carapils , 60 min hop addition for about 25 IBU and a flameout addition of a flavourful hop of your choice. Ferment at 68°f with US-05.

I might experiment with it in a real small batch just for fun but I'm not wasting one of my 5 gallon batches on that. If you do it though be sure to come back with tasting notes

No, it doesn't convert.

Sort of correct, it won't convert by itself. However if mashed with the other 50% standard 2-row pale malt, the enzymes from the pale malt will convert dextrins to simpler sugars. But if only steeping at the end, then sure you guys would be correct, it would just give sugars and dextrins without conversion going on if there aren't enzymes present from other malts.

Just brew it. Report results. I bet it turns out fine. Carapils is pretty tame and doesn't do what people say it does.

http://scottjanish.com/dextrins-and-mouthfeel/
Good read. Thanks. Not just about the Carapils, but step mashing and the conversion of dextrins. I see more impact on mouthfeel coming from step mash routines than from the use of Carapils. But this old dog can still learn new brewing tricks when combining different processes and ingredients based on good research.

It will be interesting to hear more from the OP on intentions and goals.

I bought 1kg of Carapils 3 years ago and finally used it up late last year when I ran out of Crystal 20 and called it close enough.

Back