Fake News from Big Beer?

Did you ever have a Pilsner Urquell in a green bottle (before they changed to the brown bottle a few years ago)? That's what a skunky beer tastes like to me. And I'll go on record with the unpopular opinion that I preferred it that way. (If you're freaky, then own it! :)) Maybe its just a nostalgia thing (it's probably a nostalgia thing), but to me it is what made that beer a little different. I also want my Corona's to remain in clear bottles so I have to add the lime wedge in order to make it more palatable. But I do like a Corona with a lime on a Summer day. I find Yuengling's Lord Chesterfield Ale to have a bit of that skunk (because of the green bottles) but the beer is still so drinkable, no lime needed because it also has a nice hop aroma to help it along.

There were some beers where the skunk went way beyond saving however. Anyone ever have a Rolling Rock back in the day? Hoo boy...
I'll be freaky right there with ya! And Corona in a can isn't Corona! Neither is Hieneken lol. Over on HBT there is actually a thread on skunking beer on purpose.

Did you ever have a Pilsner Urquell in a green bottle (before they changed to the brown bottle a few years ago)? That's what a skunky beer tastes like to me. And I'll go on record with the unpopular opinion that I preferred it that way. (If you're freaky, then own it! :)) Maybe its just a nostalgia thing (it's probably a nostalgia thing), but to me it is what made that beer a little different. I also want my Corona's to remain in clear bottles so I have to add the lime wedge in order to make it more palatable. But I do like a Corona with a lime on a Summer day. I find Yuengling's Lord Chesterfield Ale to have a bit of that skunk (because of the green bottles) but the beer is still so drinkable, no lime needed because it also has a nice hop aroma to help it along.

There were some beers where the skunk went way beyond saving however. Anyone ever have a Rolling Rock back in the day? Hoo boy...
Seems I've had it twice. A couple of times when I was in Europe, including one in Prague. Can't remember it. I'm guessing it was a hot day relieving drink and gone before I'd had time to think.

I wasn't aware craft beer existed at the time so I was mostly comparing it to Sleemans Honey Brown.

When I was traveling, 2000 through 2009, I found myself in Canada 3 or 4 times a year. I discovered Sleeman's Honey Brown by accident. It became my go to beer when ever I was in the land of Canucks. Loved the beer & the people.

When I was traveling, 2000 through 2009, I found myself in Canada 3 or 4 times a year. I discovered Sleeman's Honey Brown by accident. It became my go to beer when ever I was in the land of Canucks. Loved the beer & the people.
Especially the people though, right!

It's a really nice beer that I have not drank in a long time now that I think about it. Need to get me a case again.

:D Sleeman: is a Japanese owned Canadian brewery; actually owned by Sapporo...

FYI: The Honey Brown goes well with Ginger Beef: which is often mistaken for Asian cuisine but ginger beef IS Canadian invented (right next to peanut butter and poutine)....

A little cultural trade from both countries and a bonus win for all of us!

Ah, the memories! That may have even been the very first beer I ever drank ('96ish?).

speaking of Yuengling...interesting "Bigger Picture" story on the industry.....

The Daily Beast: No, Beer Sales Aren't Booming.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/no-beer-sales-arent-booming?source=half-full&via=rss

Our (UK) numbers are not out yet - or not that I've seen - but I'm very interested in the industry and take notice of these things.

The big brewers here are likely the big losers, although there's been a lot of beer consumed through the pandemic the volume beer market, as in pubs, has been decimated. The smaller craft brewers have been far more nimble than the big boys and we've seen some great creativity from them getting their product to market.

My favourite local brewer stopped brewing initially but within a month were back at it having invented a brewer-customer direct supply chain - they stopped kegging/casking, started canning everything they could and delivered direct themselves. Brilliant. They were even delivering cask beer straight for the CT into 2litre plastic milk bottles and onto the customer.

Big brewers just can't do that.

I would also say that the big brewers here have behaved themselves really well in the main. Marston's are reporting that the beer destruction and subsequent credit plus all the shutdown and re-start cost them £40 million. I'm not a fan of big beer generally but they have been mostly admirable through this.

The smaller craft brewers have been far more nimble than the big boys and we've seen some great creativity from them getting their product to market.

Oh yeah and I think the sort of folk that frequent the small guys understand the economics of what a publican is dealing with in these times so they are willing to risk for the reward of good beer in a beer garden or even if its taking it home in a milk jug!

Oh yeah and I think the sort of folk that frequent the small guys understand the economics of what a publican is dealing with in these times so they are willing to risk for the reward of good beer in a beer garden or even if its taking it home in a milk jug!

I've been surprised just how resillient and determined the population has been through this. It takes a lot to keep us away from our beer it seems. Great to see :)

Not fake news but a couple of interesting industry articles if you follow this sorta stuff...Good news for Texans and that Sam Adams is only 8% of the market was an eye opener!

I put them here because I didn't think they were worthy of a new string but maybe what the industry association is doing for Boston Brewing is a little slight-of-handy..

Yuengling beer coming to Texas | KEYE (cbsaustin.com)

Boston Beer Is No Longer a Craft Brewer. Does That Even Matter? | The Motley Fool
I don't get why the Sam Adams stuff matters. I really don't care what you label it, it's good, consistent beer. When people want to penalize them for their success and be snobbish about it I just don't get it. They were able to get big for a reason.

I don't get why the Sam Adams stuff matters. I really don't care what you label it, it's good, consistent beer. When people want to penalize them for their success and be snobbish about it I just don't get it. They were able to get big for a reason.
Agreed.

+1

Brewdog are massive now and have made every few compromises along the way, I still regard their beers as some of the best out there. I don't think the 'craft' label really matters.

I do get upset when big brewers pretend not to be and call themselves craft brewers, we have quite a few of those over here and I find that offensive. Big brewers buying craft brewers I find quite sneaky as well, I tend to strike those beers from my list.

Not sure the label means a great deal though.

I'm one of those who could care less if it's "craft" or not. If it tastes good and I like it, I'm buying and drinking it.
I mean I live where the local big brewery, Genesee, makes some really good beers both large and small batch and their reputation among more snobbish people really doesn't bother me. I've actually considered applying to various positions at the brewery. Don't think it's true anymore but heard the used to give employees a free 12pk every month:D

Back