Blichmann Hellfire on Natural Gas

Mike McDermott

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I am trying to figure out a problem that I am having with my new Hellfire from Blichmann. It pretty much comes assembled and I have the NG orifice installed properly.
The problem I am having is that the flame is really uncontrollable. I am looking to get the same controlled blue flame as from Propane, but the Natural Gas is just not doing it.
The flame is mostly yellow, and it is charring up (black soot) the bottom and sides of my brew pot.
I've played around with the valve, and if I set it to nearly closed, the yellow flame goes away, but then a small breeze blows out the blue flame.
Opening it all the way up means I get 10-inch yellow flames wicking around the sides.
Blichmann support has been swamped and hasn't replied back to my requests for product support.
Has anyone run into this with their Blichmann Hellfire (floor standing version)?

Thanks guys! This has been kicking my butt for a while now as you can imagine trying to brew with a yellow flame and taking FOREVER to boil. Really didn't live up to the HELLFIRE name.
I actually tried to restrict some air as where I am brewing there is usually a nice 8-10mph wind going on which causes the flame to lap out the sides.
I am going to do a test burn tonight (without involving the kettle) and try and adjust that vent so that we can get the mix right. Will let you know how it goes.

You definitely need to get more air in the mix, how you do that with that burner is where I have no useful input.

Good luck!

More air, check to make sure spiders or other critters havevt plugged up the venturi, where the air goes in

More air, check to make sure spiders or other critters havevt plugged up the venturi, where the air goes in
That happens just about every year with my fire pit.... I had the same problems with wind with the Hellfire - nothing to be done about it except maybe building some kind of a wind break. Make sure the vents are providing enough air that there is little to no yellow in the flame. Another side effect of yellow flame is you'll soot up your kettle - that's incomplete combustion leaving some unburnt carbon behind.

I eventually solved the wind issue by moving indoors and going electric.

I had the same problem and bought another banjo burner for ~$18. Sometimes the casting is just plain bad and no matter how much you play with it you can't stop the soot. Wind - I wrap a piece of tinfoil around the bottom to block some of the wind, when needed.

Back