Two questions regarding an all electric biab system

I use a Digiboil with the mash kit and a MK-II pump for recirculation. My mash efficiency hovers around 82% as long as I have 2+ gallons to sparge with. For big beers I just sub in some DME for part of the base malt.

Pros: Brew in the kitchen instead of braving the elements.
Easy cleanup.
Small foot print.
Great consistency since I've dialed my process in.
Much easier on the old joints and muscles.
Lower energy cost
No longer need to deal with propane tanks.
Have lots of brewing gear to sell.

Cons:
Heating is slow with the 110 volt/1500 watt unit, but leaves lots of time to clean as I go.

I was getting similar with my first few brews. What I've done to correct it is easy.

1. A solid 5 minute stir at mash in. I start the timer only after all grain is wet.
2. 5 minute rest before starting the pump.
3. Stir the top 1/3 of the mash every 15-20 minutes. Not much needed here, just enough to prevent channeling.
4.At 45 minutes, I start to check my sugar content with a hydrometer.

If I haven't hit my Gravity...
5. Test again at 60 minutes .

If I still haven't hit gravity...
6. Another 5 minute stir and rest.
7. 15 minutes with pump running.
8. Short stir of top 1/3 and a test.

Never had to go past 75 minutes, but obviously repeat 7 and 8nas needed.

Serious question here. Don't want to highjack the thread but, why does everyone think a mash is 60 minutes? If you get your sugar needed in 30 minutes, you're done. If you hit your target gravity in 90 minutes, your done then. 60 minutes is a benchmark or average. It isn't a number written in stone as they say.

Just my 2¢
I appreciate your two cents, I think I could easily find an extra 10 to 20 minutes on a brew day!

I use a Digiboil with the mash kit and a MK-II pump for recirculation. My mash efficiency hovers around 82% as long as I have 2+ gallons to sparge with. For big beers I just sub in some DME for part of the base malt.

Pros: Brew in the kitchen instead of braving the elements.
Easy cleanup.
Small foot print.
Great consistency since I've dialed my process in.
Much easier on the old joints and muscles.
Lower energy cost
No longer need to deal with propane tanks.
Have lots of brewing gear to sell.

Cons:
Heating is slow with the 110 volt/1500 watt unit, but leaves lots of time to clean as I go.

I curious to know if you use a bag with the Digiboil?

No bag in the Digiboil.

Back