Smoking, grilling and curing foods, etc.

Striploin Sous Vide style, 140F for 2 hours, then a quick sear. I see most people go 135/2, I was just a little nervous to go that low. Next time I will though! Roasted carrots, and smashed spuds were the perfect compliment!
20210111_191956.jpg
20210111_192003.jpg

That looks like my Weber grill - a great tool.
And chicken thighs are probably my favorite thing to cook and eat.

Correct.
It's the smallest weber smoky mountain (37 cm).
I use lump charcoal and very often just use it as a normal grill. I put the middle section on,, so I have no problem with flare up's ;)
Waterpan removed.
It's plenty hot for chicken at the top grid.

Obviously, I use it differently when I want to smoke big pieces of pork/beef etc

Just pulled my mystery meat off the grill. Pork shoulder that I cut a 5 lb. slab out of for Buckboard Bacon. Vacuum sealed with dry brine on Dec. 12th., the same day I sealed up 2 boneless turkey breasts with my pastrami dry brine. Our youngest daughter doesn't eat red meat, so I make her Turkey Pastrami every year.
I call what I just pulled off the grill, after several hours of smoke, mystery meat because I mistakenly used my pastrami dry brine on it. Saddest part is that no alcohol was involved. It's resting now, and will sit in the fridge, uncovered, overnight before I break out the slicer. Can't wait to try it and decide whether it's bacon or pastrami.
Bacon.jpg

Just pulled my mystery meat off the grill. Pork shoulder that I cut a 5 lb. slab out of for Buckboard Bacon. Vacuum sealed with dry brine on Dec. 12th., the same day I sealed up 2 boneless turkey breasts with my pastrami dry brine. Our youngest daughter doesn't eat red meat, so I make her Turkey Pastrami every year.
I call what I just pulled off the grill, after several hours of smoke, mystery meat because I mistakenly used my pastrami dry brine on it. Saddest part is that no alcohol was involved. It's resting now, and will sit in the fridge, uncovered, overnight before I break out the slicer. Can't wait to try it and decide whether it's bacon or pastrami.
View attachment 13674
Looks like damn fine hunk of meat to me!
Hey @BOB357 mind posting your pastrami brine again?

Looks like damn fine hunk of meat to me!
Hey @BOB357 mind posting your pastrami brine again?

It is definitely pastrami. Calling it Pigstrami. Steamed for 15 minutes in the Instant Pot, sliced and packaged. Really turned out nice and I will be making it again.
Pastrami/Corned Beef dry brine recipe attached.

Pigstrami.jpg

Attachments

• Pastrami, dry cured.pdf
    241.7 KB · Views: 103
It is definitely pastrami. Calling it Pigstrami. Steamed for 15 minutes in the Instant Pot, sliced and packaged. Really turned out nice and I will be making it again.

View attachment 13679
That looks so good right now. Much better than the frozen Atkins meal I'm eating for lunch. Thanks for the recipe again.

View attachment 13679
Not quite turducken, but pigstrami works and it looks delicious.

That looks so good right now. Much better than the frozen Atkins meal I'm eating for lunch. Thanks for the recipe again.

No problem.

If you ever get the urge to do Pigstrami, I used the same recipe, but smoked to 165 degrees and rested in the fridge overnight before steaming in the morning.

I was on the Zone diet 25 or so years ago. You can eat just about anything you want. You just balance the fats, carbs and proteins. You do stick with the good fats and eat a lot of squash & salads for a good part of the carbs. Only real problem is eating the big dinners.

Other diets I've tried were like starving to the point that I'd go on 2 of them just to get enough food :D

Not quite turducken, but pigstrami works and it looks delicious.

Thanks!

I just lightly peppered one side in case it was more like bacon, so it could have used more seasoning. Next time it'll get a good dose of my pastrami rub on all sides.

The only saving grace in a turducken is the duck :rolleyes:

No problem.

If you ever get the urge to do Pigstrami, I used the same recipe, but smoked to 165 degrees and rested in the fridge overnight before steaming in the morning.

I was on the Zone diet 25 or so years ago. You can eat just about anything you want. You just balance the fats, carbs and proteins. You do stick with the good fats and eat a lot of squash & salads for a good part of the carbs. Only real problem is eating the big dinners.

Other diets I've tried were like starving to the point that I'd go on 2 of them just to get enough food :D
I did Atkins years ago, but not anymore. I like their frozen meal for work because they have lots of protein and low carbs. You take a hit on sodium though lol.
I do well with lots of weight lifting and running these days. I want to hold on to that for as long as my body will allow, which some days don't feel like much longer lol.

@BOB357 is that your usual brine recipe? I thought I remembered seeing one with pink curing salt?

Well, I guess I'll go with the dry brine seeing as how I already have the Mortons!

I usually only use the wet brine for cuts too big to vacuum seal. I do rinse well and soak for an hour or 2, changing the water a couple of times when using the dry brine. Especially important for thinner cuts, like pork belly.

@BOB357 I think my dry brine pastrami looks really nice and I can't wait to get it on the pit. I took the point off and did it separately. Tomorrow or Sunday will be cook day.
View attachment 13814

Looks great. After sealing I usually toss it in the bottom drawer of the fridge and forget about it for a month or more. Morton's says 7 days per inch thickness IIRC, so mine is overkill. Let me know how it turns out.

Back