Session timeout with facebook login?

Brewer #40102

Trial Member
Reaction score
I created a account with my facebook credentials. When I login to my account, and leave a page open without using, I get logged out after a while.
I guess it has something to do with the FB login?

This would be really annoying when you are on a brew day and have the recipe on screen. After a few hours you want to edit or look up something, finding out you are logged out.
Already got the problem that I was editing a recipe, got back after a while and getting errors that the recipe is not mine (because the session was disconnected under water).

- Is this a FB problem ?
- Can it be fixed?
- If it can't be fixed, can I switch my account to a non-FB account ?

just My two cents
I receive the developers emails from face book and they sometimes turn off api support when fixing problems, these issues have been creeping up allot in the last year, its been all over the web lately so its best to use standard login for best results

We are looking at the issue with the Facebook bridge.

Thanks for reporting this. The way we're using Facebook Authentication, we're only using it on the initial login mechanism, after that we're using PHP sessions based simply on cookies, etc. So once you're successfully logged in, the process of preserving that session should be behaving the same whether you logged in with Facebook or simply with email/password. If you wouldn't mind trying something out, could you create a test account using your email (not Facebook) and see if you run into the same thing?

Thanks!

Created a test account and logged in. Wheb I came back after a few hours and refreshed the page, I was logged out.
I will dive into local cookie handling.

Still can't find out where the problem is.
Since this is the only site I'm having trouble with, I take a look on my cookies.

I have the following cookies on my system:

brewersfriend.com
__qca
__utma
__utmc
__utmz
_dc_gtm_UA-32415380-35
_ga

www.brewersfriend.com
PHPSESSID
bfmetric
phpbb3_ssayq_k
phpbb3_ssayq_sid
phpbb3_ssayq_u

Almost every cookie has a expire date for about a year. Except the PHPSESSID which is set to "When the browsing session ends" and a cookie with the name _dc_gtm_UA-32415380-35, it is set to expire 10 minutes after creation.
When I wait 10 minutes, the cookie is deleted by the browser but I'm still logged in to the site.
If I come back to the site after a longer period (still undefined), my session is logged out. No change in cookies.

Oh, this is a known issue? I'm also experiencing problems staying logged in. I often gett logged out within an hour.

After switching from facebook login to login with emailadress, my logout problems disappeared immediately :)

Back