Q1 2021 Community Recipe by HighVoltageMan!

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all! This thread was created for everyone to ask questions, post recipe tweaks, and any other discussion/conversations about the official community recipe for the quarter by @HighVoltageMan!

Link to Wayner's Pale Ale recipes (please copy your recipe of choice to modify/edit):
Community recipe?

Happy Brewing!

Last edited:
This recipe will be a lot of firsts for me, so I am excited for everyone's questions and alterations. I'm sure I'll be the first of many to ask about hop substitutions. I would love to use Simcoe (13.3 AA) and Amarillo (9.5 AA) for this, what do you think @HighVoltageMan!?

One pound of hops! No guts no glory! I think the only change I may make, after scaling to my setup, might be to increase the grams/liter of dry hops. Might also sneak a small amount of Magnum first wort. I can then move some of the whirlpool hops to the dry side.

This will be a fun! I scaled it down for my size as well. Need to swap out a few things but other than hops I have the grain and yeast. I have cascade and centennial. I assume those are way off from the hops used in this recipe?

This will be a fun! I scaled it down for my size as well. Need to swap out a few things but other than hops I have the grain and yeast. I have cascade and centennial. I assume those are way off from the hops used in this recipe?

Hi Josh,
According to my chart here the substitutes for the used hops are:
upload_2021-1-11_0-36-10.png

They seem to be substitutes for each other? but I guess there are others that could do.

This recipe will be a lot of firsts for me, so I am excited for everyone's questions and alterations. I'm sure I'll be the first of many to ask about hop substitutions. I would love to use Simcoe (13.3 AA) and Amarillo (9.5 AA) for this, what do you think @HighVoltageMan!?
Absolutely. The beer can be hopped with any hop you want. This recipe allows the brewer to use a large amount of hops without it getting super bitter. I’ve used both hops and if I remember correctly it was more dank, but still delicious.

You can use those hops. It will be more of a old school pale ale. Citra and Mosaic are more fruity, but often I brew this beer with the hops I have.

This will be fun for sure. Never done whirlpool hopping. Once boil is over let temp drop to 170 and hold 20 minutes? I’m an ice bath guy. That means probably 60-70 minutes to pitch, you know chill guys are laughing now. I’ll be ok?

Last edited:
Absolutely. The beer can be hopped with any hop you want. This recipe allows the brewer to use a large amount of hops without it getting super bitter. I’ve used both hops and if I remember correctly it was more dank, but still delicious.

Well that is interesting... I have 2 or 3kg of an unknow hop with unknown Alpha but I have given assumed it is about 8 ish - only as that is about average value and i had to start somewhere lol
I can use a whole lot of that as an experiment without breaking the bank - I was given them so no problem. I have the right amount of Citra and 50gm short of the Mosaic but I have plans for them already so I would have to buy some more. Trouble is I have 30+ hop styles here already and I don't really need to get any more - my Mrs has told me!!!!
I can perhaps substitute my unknown hop for the dry hop stage as I can probably taste test that over time if it is getting too strong. I don't know I'm winging it here... We shall see,

Last edited:
A pound of hops? Kinda like putting a cup of hot sauce on a taco, are you ever going to taste the taco...

This will be fun for sure. Never done whirlpool hopping. Once boil is over let temp drop to 170 and hold 20 minutes? I’m an ice bath guy. That means probably 60-70 minutes to pitch, you know chill guys are laughing now. I’ll be ok?
I'd do it if it's easy, but not sweat it too much if it isn't. There's a few brulosophy trials that seem to support the idea that temperature isn't that important. It's sure to make a difference, but do we have the equipment to taste the difference?

There's a lot still unknown about hop stands post boil and a lot of the thinking is based on the simplistic temperature profiles we all discuss around isomerisation of hops. Which probably isn't that important considering how many variables are involved. Still I drop mine to 80C before I do the hop stand, but that's because it's easy with my setup. Before I had this setup I'd just wait 15 minutes and then add them.

A pound of hops? Kinda like putting a cup of hot sauce on a taco, are you ever going to taste the taco...
Because of the whirlpool, the bitterness is reduced. The malt still comes through and stands up to the hops. Overall it’s balanced. I regularly win gold in competitions with this beer. Conventional wisdom is to use 1/4-1/3 the amount of hops, but these conventional approaches don’t work as well.

@HighVoltageMan! Would you prefer us to copy the recipe, rather than having a bunch of snapshots hanging off your original recipe?

Edit: just tried the snapshot. I can't see the recipe in my folders, so I think it's in yours. I'll just copy it and hopefully be able to delete it from yours.

Edit 2: sorry can't delete it. I've copied it, so feel free to delete it from your folders. It'll be the smaller BIAB version.

@Sunfire96 can you add a note next to the recipe link at the top asking people to copy the recipe and not create a snapshot? Then I can be the only idiot polluting HighVoltageMan's recipe folders.

Last edited:
I don't feel that it is crucial to be at a specific temperature, or necessarily to hold said temperature for the whole 20 minutes. If you top up in fermenter, you could use a small amount of that water to drop the temp a bit before adding the hops. You should work out your stirring arms prior rebrew day!

I don't feel that it is crucial to be at a specific temperature, or necessarily to hold said temperature for the whole 20 minutes. If you top up in fermenter, you could use a small amount of that water to drop the temp a bit before adding the hops. You should work out your stirring arms prior rebrew day!
That’s what I’ll do then I’ll top off in the gigawort and set temp to 170. I’ll start my timer once I dump the hops.
I’m going to try to get mosaic since I like the idea of doing it different than I would. especially since I can brew this early March and it will be ready

Back