Tilt Forwarding to Google Sheets Help

Northshore

Premium Member
Reaction score
I recently set up a Tilt hydrometer and while I was successful in getting my brew session to track the data, forwarding this data to Google Sheets has been less successful. Instead of logging data as an individual beer, each data entry is being logged as a separate beer. I tried to follow the directions in the guide but I must have missed something along the way. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Sheets.png
    Sheets.png
    367.5 KB · Views: 193
I might be able to help.
I have to assume your Tilt is communicating via bluetooth to a Raspberry Pi, loaded with the Tilt Pi image. The P{i uses WiFi to connect to the web.
Connect to the Pi and on the logging screen, give your beer a name, add your gmail address, and set the logging interval. (I use 15 minutes as I am impatient).

Soon you will receive 2 email messages from Tilt, one from Noan Neibaron and one from Tilt Customer Service; both contain a link to the data page. Follow that link (you may open it in Sheets if you like, I just open it in a browser) and you should get a view with four tabs: Report, Chart, Data and Help. Report has the details and data used for the chart, which graphs the temperature and specific gravity over time.

I think the link you are using is different, just a log of log files that exist.

Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks for the reply. Just to confirm, yes, I have set up a Tilt Pi which is sending data every 15 minutes to my brew session. This is really all I care about quite honestly but then I figured it could be handy to have this data in 2 places. I can try what you suggest but I did see in the setup instructions posted here that it notes not to included your email. Exerpt below:

Copy your Tilt cloud URL from Account Settings and paste it into the Cloud Url, hit enter/return to save. Do not enter your email in the GMAIL email input. For whatever reason this causes issues sending data.

I am a little hesitant to mess things up with an active fermentation happening so I might wait until this batch completes its fermentation before try this.

setup instructions posted here
Ah, that's for Brewer's Friend then? I don't post my data to BF in any way; just Google Sheets. That gives me images like this, which is all I want / need. For this, you DO indeed enter your gmail address. But I really can't help if you are sending the data here to BF, as I have no experience with that.

To see these, just point your browser to HERE

Hefe4a.jpg

I have the same question/issue as the OP. I have setup my Tilt with Tilt PI and can log data to both Google sheets (created from Tilt) and also to my BF brew log (separately).

I am following the steps under Docs > Devices > Tilt > Google Sheets so that I can forward the data back to Google sheets, but I am stuck and cannot make this work. Here are my results/questions from the steps on that page:

1. OK. I kept the “Copy Of” in the file name.
2. OK. There is no Script Editor in the Tools menu, but I found it under Extensions > App Scripts
3. OK.
4. OK. I have copied the URL in the dialog box, even though the steps in the script itself say not to.
5. Step 1 – OK. I kept the “Copy Of” in the file name. Step 2 – This is where I get lost. Where does the document ID come from? Where exactly does this get pasted? What does “the first copy” refer to? The sheet copied in the first step, or in the sheet is step 5-1?

One other thing is that my sheet never has a Tilt menu item like the image on the page. Looking at the sheets from Tilt, there is no Tilt menu item either. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I have 2 tilts, Orang and Blue. I just got the Blue for Xmas. In November, the orange tilt stopped logging to google sheets. I paid it no mind since I was getting temp and est,. ABV. Now, I'm still not getting any logging to the google sheets and I have been in contact with Noah Neibaron and he cannot tell me why its not logging. I have it running on my Samsung S10+. It's the same phone I have used when the logging was working. You folks have any suggestions?

I have the same question/issue as the OP. I have setup my Tilt with Tilt PI and can log data to both Google sheets (created from Tilt) and also to my BF brew log (separately).

I am following the steps under Docs > Devices > Tilt > Google Sheets so that I can forward the data back to Google sheets, but I am stuck and cannot make this work. Here are my results/questions from the steps on that page:

1. OK. I kept the “Copy Of” in the file name.
2. OK. There is no Script Editor in the Tools menu, but I found it under Extensions > App Scripts
3. OK.
4. OK. I have copied the URL in the dialog box, even though the steps in the script itself say not to.
5. Step 1 – OK. I kept the “Copy Of” in the file name. Step 2 – This is where I get lost. Where does the document ID come from? Where exactly does this get pasted? What does “the first copy” refer to? The sheet copied in the first step, or in the sheet is step 5-1?

One other thing is that my sheet never has a Tilt menu item like the image on the page. Looking at the sheets from Tilt, there is no Tilt menu item either. Any ideas?

Copy the Document ID from the URL of the Tilt Cloud Template.

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 9.48.38 AM.png

I have been using my Raspi as Bluetooth bridge and successfully logging beers to Google Sheets for over 2 years. I finally decided to set up the Fermentation tracking in BF to my device and it's logging correctly in BF's display. So far, so good... I then tried to add the forwarded to my Google Sheets so I can also continue to log to the Sheets. I believe I have followed the directions correctly at https://docs.brewersfriend.com/devices/tilt/google-sheets. However, I cannot get this to work. The "Copy of Tilt Hydrometer Cloud" in Step #5 does not appear as shown in the template. Here's the instruction view:

upload_2023-8-20_11-34-5.png

Here is the template I see,

upload_2023-8-20_11-35-3.png

Further, the template I see does not even have a Script in Code.gs,

upload_2023-8-20_11-36-23.png

Whereas if I use the Google Sheet linked from Step #1 of the instructions at BF, I do see a script,

upload_2023-8-20_11-38-5.png

I am suspecting that something has changed in the Master Template since the author created these instructions, but then I have to wonder why others are not complaining, so either few people are forwarding Tilt data to Sheets, or I am not a good instructions follower :)

Any helpful suggestions are most appreciated!

Paul

@BrewCurious Can you did into this? I’m unfamiliar with using google sheets with Tilt, and don’t know what’s going on here.

(I use an old Iphone to send the Tilt app to Brewer’s Friend).

I have been using my Raspi as Bluetooth bridge and successfully logging beers to Google Sheets for over 2 years. I finally decided to set up the Fermentation tracking in BF to my device and it's logging correctly in BF's display. So far, so good... I then tried to add the forwarded to my Google Sheets so I can also continue to log to the Sheets. I believe I have followed the directions correctly at https://docs.brewersfriend.com/devices/tilt/google-sheets. However, I cannot get this to work. The "Copy of Tilt Hydrometer Cloud" in Step #5 does not appear as shown in the template. Here's the instruction view:

View attachment 26363

Here is the template I see,

View attachment 26364

Further, the template I see does not even have a Script in Code.gs,

View attachment 26365

Whereas if I use the Google Sheet linked from Step #1 of the instructions at BF, I do see a script,

View attachment 26366

I am suspecting that something has changed in the Master Template since the author created these instructions, but then I have to wonder why others are not complaining, so either few people are forwarding Tilt data to Sheets, or I am not a good instructions follower :)

Any helpful suggestions are most appreciated!

Paul
Sorry to resurrect a thread but was there any progress on this? It seems like the docs are still out of date! Thank you so much BF Team!

Back