Belgian Pale Ale

Are you sure s33 is a Belgian strain? Remember, Fermentis has some horrible descriptions of their yeast. It says suitable for Belgian and strong English styles which makes absolutely no sense.

Great question, I don't know for sure, I read it was recommended for Trappist style beers. My plan was actually to see what yeast they had in stock when I grabbed the grains and verify if there was a more appropriate choice, my local home brew supply has yeast rotating frequently. :)

I had the same plan for the hops, I put Fuggles in the recipe, but was going to see if they had something more suitable the day of. Recipe called for some French hops my guy has never stocked.

I am a big fan of Belgian beers and frequently make Saisons, BPA's, and dark strong ales. Your grain bill looks pretty good to me. I usually add 3-4% wheat malt to aid in head retention, but the Caravienne should fill that role.

Your BU/GU ratio for the beer looks good too. I've had a couple of Belgian pale ales that were much too bitter. Yours should be slightly sweet, but well balanced.

I have not used the S-33. I regularly use the Safale T-58 and BE-256. BE-256 was in very short supply for a while, so I used the T-58 with good results. I also tried a Belgian Pale Ale with the Danstar Belle Saison yeast. Also a very drinkable beer.

Good luck with the batch.

Thanks' folks, howsabout this one? Wyeast 3522, Belgian Ardennes

Snagged the last one in stock. Wyeast website description sounds like exactly what Im after :)

Attachments

• Wyeast.jpg
    Wyeast.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 84
Hi, folks anyone have experience with this yeast, Belgian Ardennes Wyeast 3522. Wondering where I want to take it temperature wise over the next week or two?

Never mind I may have rushed that question, I see they have 18-24 on the website, I’ll start it at 21 C till I see some good action then raise it up to 23-24

Others who have used this yeast may have better info, but I would think that you may want to keep it in the middle of the range. It produces heat during fermentation, so it may be a few degrees warmer than whatever room you have it in.

Haven't used it, but the oversimplification of the Belgian yeasts is lower temperatures tend to help the phenolic characters and higher temperatures the esters. Though some of that depends on mashing temps. Single infusion mashes probably tend to make the phenols/esters a little lighter. That said, they're all individuals, so generalisations may not be that helpful...

I've brewed award-winning Belgian Pale with S-33 but only because it's the one Belgian style that doesn't rely on heavy esters and phenols in the flavor profile. It's a much better beer without heavy spicy, fruity flavors, IMO, and it more to style. S-33 emphasizes the malt and adds a little light fruitiness at low temps. At very high temps, it finds some more robust flavor notes.
I find the biggest advantage of this yeast is what it does to mouthfeel. It adds a definite dimension to the body of the beer and enhances the mouthfeel in beers that are brewed very dry. I have a Cream Ale recipe that uses both S-23 and S-33 and it's a better beer than the same recipe fermented with just the S-23.

Back